Chapter 10 -- Ebb Tide

Start from the beginning

"Nothing, I really don't want to interfere, I thought I'd just introduce myself."

"Doctor Martina Tosell," she said putting her hand out.

"Please call me Danika," I said hoping someone would call me by my name.

Dr. Tosell just laughed a little, "No, I'm afraid I'll have to call you Luna, the title's too ingrained on our pack consciousness for me to change it." She just shrugged a shoulder like that's just the way things are.

"Well, Doctor, I'll check in with you later since I know you're busy. I just wanted to say hi."

"Thank you Luna, and please call me Martina."

"Oh no Doctor, I'm afraid the name's just too ingrained for me to change it," I smiled back at her. "But I do want to talk to you sometime about the she-rogue that Stephen sent to your facility a month or so ago. I'll stop by your clinic after this is all over."

"Oh you mean Mave? She's a special case, and I'd love to talk to you about her later. I believe she now is on a 'quest' because of you."

"Quest?"

"You promised her the job of 'protector' if she survived. She's taken it to heart."

"Oh. Um, well. That's actually up to Stephen, we came to an agreement that I would try to stop being stupid, and he would stop being mad at me." I ran my hand over the top of my head, trying to figure this out.

"Well," Doctor Tosell laughed, "this will be interesting since Mave is very determined to be worthy and wants to earn her place in your Guard. You've given her a purpose in life."

Oh great I thought to myself, I don't think I could survive another argument with Stephen over it. "Yea," I said thoughtfully, "I just want her to live. Well, I'll go and check in with the other stations. It looks like you've setup a great system here."

"That's because there's not an actual war right now," the Doctor replied. I nodded goodbye and started to check in to see if anyone needed anything. I was wondering how Stephen was doing when I heard him through my mind-link.

"Danika, can I see you at the House now?" I replied that we would be there and I met my Guard at the Safe Building door. We walked quickly across the way and noticed three black armored Humvees in front of the pack house, and each car had two guards standing on each side. They were dressed in black suits and ties, and each wore sunglasses like government agents do in the movies. I smiled, this was just too cliché.

In a minute, all of us stood at Stephen's door, and before we could knock he said, "Enter." Inside was Stephen standing at his desk holding some papers, while Matthew and Tyler were standing at either side of him. His office was large, with a large desk, two sofas, a computer workstation, and a wet bar. An older man in a tailored, black suit sat leaning back comfortably in a chair in front of the desk. He looked handsome with his silver hair and military pinky ring. Buck and Handy stood a little in front of me and Stephen gestured for them that it was ok.

"At ease, Guard," Stephen told them. None of my Guard moved a muscle since they sensed danger, but they didn't move in front of me anymore. The older man stood up and Stephen growled low. The man ignored him, but didn't move near me.

"Danika, this is Colton Reynolds, also known as Zeke."

"Nice to meet you Luna, please call me Zeke," he said- but again made no movement toward me.

"Zeke was my father's old commander of his old special forces team, Zeke saved my father's life once, but he didn't recognize the name of 'Colton'."