Seventeen

PERCY

At the time, no one had noticed. We had all been too enveloped in the excitement of the transfiguration lesson. It was shameful really, six of the most powerful demigods don't notice a very red headed boy sneaking off half way through the lesson. Hades, I hadn't even noticed until that whole Dragon shenanigans, which turns out they have super good smell and hearing. So good in fact that I could taste the distinct tang of terror on the air, and hear the small screams of a child, then the thump of someone hitting the ground. Hard. I could feel the rage swirling up through my veins, a shock straight to my core. In that instant I had scanned the crowd of students still looking at me in awe, and noticed it. He was gone. I had noticed that his behaviour had been even more strange than normal, despite the fact that it had been obvious that he had a crush on Annabeth from the word go, I could tell that his behaviour seemed forced. Something dark lurked behind those bright blue eyes, but I had been too stupid to question him further before now, and I was about to pay the price for it. With just about enough control to turn my body into a smaller form, which just so happened to be the wolf from a few second ago. Vaguely registering the panicked voice of Jason, I bolted in the vague direction of the scent of my son, and ignoring the pain, ran straight through the wall next to the door, my paws sliding on the stone floor and claws carving deep groves trying too keep me in balance. His smell locked in my nostrils, nothing could stop me. I would have faced Gaea a thousand times if she had reincarnated in front of me at that moment, but luckily for me she didn't. My breath now coming out in pants, I growled loudly in frustration as I barrelled past another group of unsuspecting third years, and finally, the scent got stronger. I knew I was heading in the right direction.

The Astronomy tower stairs seemed endless to my aching feet. Yes feet, at some point on my never ending journey I had suddenly found myself back on two legs, the change making me skid through a door into none other than Professor Snape's 4th year potions class, knocking over a few cauldrons and other bottles and inadvertently turning him into an angry looking bright red hedgehog shaking its paw at me and squeaking (probable) profanities. Finally, I saw the top of the stair and the large protective railings looming at the top of my vision. Whilst being a little out of breath, I clambered up the final few steps. The cold air was hurtling round the room, chilling me to my very core and I could see the beginnings of a storm brewing on the horizon, the rain pelting down so hard that it was visible to the naked eye. That might just be my fault... Oops.

My eyes were drawn to the unseemly shock of colour balancing on the railings. His ginger hair was blowing wildly around his pale face, the shadows under his eyes greatly exaggerated by the freckles spread randomly over his face. The whimpering coming from a small boy with a mop of black hair and intelligent grey eyes immediately caught my attention. Luke. "Cute kid Percy," my breath seemed to catch slightly in my throat as he turned his gaze to me. The crystalline blue eyes that he possessed were now glazed over like a madman's. Something was very wrong. "Even if he is a Demigod" Ron carried on. Now my breathing really did hitch. How the hell did he find out? I knew that they had been curious, but I had assumed that they would never get even close to the actual answer. Had Aphrodite's mind wipe of Harry not been as effective as we had first assumed? Was that Granger kid smarter and more open minded than we had previously thought? Hades knows, but right now I just needed to get Luke away. "Ron, give me back Luke. We can talk this over. We only didn't tell you for your own good. You don't understand why we are here!" The scuffling signifying the others had arrived made me turn for a second. Leo, Hazel and Piper had rushed up the stairs, followed by an enraged Annabeth sporting a prominent black eye, and a wheezing Harry and Hermione a few seconds later. "Bloody hell..." Harry spluttered as he crawled the last steps. "BLOODY HELL!" He shouted as he took in our situation "RON! What on earth are you doing with that baby?" Annabeth gave me a look that told me immediately that the others were still outside, just incase of a surprise attack. All of these shenanigans screamed 'meddling god' Ron had begun to sweat profusely, definitely not a good sign. "Harry, Hermione, don't you see?" He growled "We were right! They are dangerous. Their kind should not be allowed to be around humans, they shouldn't even exist in the first place, hell they only do because so god couldn't keep it in his pants!" My eyes darkened at this. Yes, my father and I hadn't really gotten on well at first, but after years of getting to know one another we had formed quite a bond, and no one talked about him like that and was able to walk for a good month after. "You're actually Demigods?" A small voice piped up from behind me. Hermione's eyes had gone very wide, and a small flush had risen in her cheeks. "Yes!" I said exasperated, throwing my hands up into the air. "Now, if you would just listen to us you would know we are not here to harm you! Your Headmaster fucking well ordered us to come here, and protect your reckless ass because no one without a serious death-wish would!" I shouted, finally getting it all off my chest. I had had enough, I missed my home, and I wanted my son's first memories to be of there, rather than some hostile castle with ignorant and arrogant people. "Are you happy Ron? now please give me back my son" I held out my arms, expecting a shocked Ron to give him back. Instead I heard laughter. Seriously deranged laughter that almost had me worried. "Are you kidding? You think that we would believe that bullshit? Come on guys! You seriously can't be that gullible?" Harry and Hermione had the decency to look embarrassed as all the pieces started to click together. "Actually Ron... I think we believe him, I mean, have they done one malicious thing while they have been here?" Hermione took a tentative steep forwards, as if sensing the volatility of the situation. "I think you should give Percy back his son now. Ron?" Ron clutched Luke close to him, and stood closer to the narrow bar of the railings. "Oh no, I don't think so. I think we should test their so called 'Gods'. I wonder if they would save their worthless whelp of a grandson?" Ron then did the unspeakable, and threw Luke off of the railing. A delirious, malicious sort of glint entered his eyes, when out of nowhere, A large bolt of lightning erupted from the clouds, heading straight for Ron, The boom muffling Annabeth and y anguished screams.