Alex & Me Ch.11

Thank you to all of you who voted and commented on the previous chapters! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex & Me

Chapter 11

"I think it'd be best if we had dinner now. Is that alright ?" Ray asked.

"Yeah sure." I smiled at him.

On the way to the restaurant we managed to talk quite a bit about ourselves. He did most of the talking and then I felt bad for being such a lousy date so I joined in. I had a surprisingly good time and was feeling pretty good when he pulled in front of the restaurant. It looked expensive and suddenly I wasn't feeling all that good anymore.

A valet came up to us and Ray handed him the keys. We went inside and the maitre'd led us to our table. After we were seated and left alone to decide what to order I turned to Ray.

"This is too much. You didn't have to do this." I said. I couldn't help but feel awkward.

"Its not a problem Zoey. Relax. I'm loaded." he teased.

"Oh thank God. I was rethinking coming with you once we got into your car but knowing that helps," I said dryly.

He laughed and I joined in. After we had finished eating he asked me to pick between a horror and romantic comedy. I picked the comedy. I wasn't a big fan of horror movies. They were scary and more often than not I wouldn't sleep at night after watching one. Alex teased me about it endlessly.

I sighed. Now was not the time to think about him. Ray seemed to have heard me.

"Everything alright ?" he asked. We were in his car on the way to the multiplex.

"Yeah everything's fine. That was a great dinner. Thank you," I smiled at him.

"Your most welcome," he smiled back.

After that we were silent. It wasn't awkward but it wasn't natural either. When I was with Alex the silence between us was comfortable. I never really felt the need to force small talk with him. We could just be. There I go again. I need to stop thinking about him. I looked outside the window.

It was a quiet night. Finally we pulled into a parking lot.

"Come on...Lets go," Ray said getting out and coming over to open the door. That boy sure was chivalrous. I had to give him that. We watched the movie and laughed so much the elderly couple in front of us turned back from time to time to shoot us dirty looks.

I was having a great time until the romantic part of the movie started. Ray tried to hold my hand and I let him after I got over the initial shock. Sometimes I just want to slap sense into myself. This was a date. Of course he'd want to hold hands. And so I let him. Even though I wasn't too comfortable.

But to be fair to him, he hadn't tried anything all evening. He'd been the perfect gentleman, never getting too close. I appreciated that. So now when he tried to hold my hand in the darkness of the theatre. He didn't do anything other than hold my hand. And for that I was really grateful.

The movie soon got over. I couldn't tell how it ended because I had been too occupied with my thoughts. The lights coming on made me jump. We made our way out and walked towards where Ray had parked his car. It was really dark and not many people were there outside.

He seemed very thoughtful and didn't speak as we made our way towards the car. The silence was getting to me.

"Ray, everything alright?" I asked his back as he was walking ahead of me.

"Oh yeah I'm sorry I was just thinking," he said, turning to face me and walking backwards.

"What about?"

"Nothing important. Uh hey..would you like to do this sometime again?" he said, not quite meeting my eyes.

I'd been afraid of this. I didn't know how I could politely decline his offer without hurting his feelings. Well it wasn't like he was in love with me or anything. Maybe this could work. I couldn't just sit around waiting for Alex forever no matter how badly a part of me - and a huge one at that - wanted to.

"I'd like that," I found myself saying without having made a conscious decision to do so.

He looked into my eyes then and the smile on his face did nothing to alleviate my guilt. If anything it only made it worse. But I pushed it down and smiled back at him.

"Alright then. Its getting late. We should get going," he said, walking towards me and opening the door, and I realised we'd been standing by the car for quite some time.

"Yeah. Thanks," I said, getting in.

It was again silent as he drove through the dark streets but this time it wasn't all that awkward. He'd turned on the radio and the song floated around inside the car, soft and mellow. We pulled in front of my house and that was when I realised that this was the end of a date and I was probably expected to kiss him. My hands started getting clammy and I tried not to make my discomfort obvious.

He got out and came around to open my door. I stepped out and he took my hand and walked me to my door. I don't know how I reached there, I was so worried about what would happen now. He would try and kiss me and I would freak out and probably push him away, screaming. Everyone in school would know by Monday that I was a freak and I would become the social outcast.

"Zoey..Zoey", I felt someone shaking me and I looked up to see Ray looking at me, puzzled. I needed to stop my hyperactive imagination from going overboard. I shook my head to clear my thoughts.

"I'm alright. Sorry I spaced out," I said giving him an awkward smile.

"That's alright. Though I am wounded that you are more interested in your thoughts when I'm standing here right by your side," he smiled.

"I-I-" I managed to stutter out.

"I'm just messing with you Zoey" he smiled, shaking his head. Then he leaned close and I froze. He kissed my left cheek first and then the right one. I just stood there, my eyes wide open.

"Good night Zoey" he whispered, chuckling and then he was gone. The door opened and my dad stood in the doorway.

"You better come inside Zoey," he huffed.

I blushed realising that he must have been watching us through the window.

"Uh yeah. I'm gonna go now. Sleep." I said hurrying inside and up the stairs. I got changed and just as I was climbing into bed I saw my phone flashing a new text message. I realised it had been on silent from the movie.

It was from Amy.

U awake? hw was it? call me asap!

I shook my head. I swear that girl took more interest in my social life than I did myself.

tell u 2mrw. 2 tired. gn.

I knew she would threaten to kill me tomorrow for not calling as soon as it got over. But I was just too tired right now to expend the effort it would take to talk to Amy. I would deal with her tomorrow.

I put the pone on my nightstand and turned pulling the covers over myself, snuggling into my pillow and letting sleep take over me.

***

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was it? Please let me know..?