Alex & Me Ch.7

So here's the new chapter.

Hope you guys like it. Please comment and let me know what you think ?

A huge thank you to all of you who commented and voted before ! =)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex & Me

Chapter 7

I was getting back to the cafeteria when I saw Sam and Amy by the door, kissing or rather trying to eat each other's faces out.

"Oi! Cut the PDA! Some of us have to eat you know ?" I called out to them grinning.

They separated and turned to me looking at me like they were seeing me for the first time. Sam then seemed to re-acquire the use of his brain.

"Z! What the hell ?" he complained while Amy was - for once - silent and blushing.

"Sorry! You know I can't resist teasing you guys! " I said.

"I was getting lucky and you couldn't be happy for me ?" Sam asked faking a hurt expression.

"I'm standing right here you..buffoon!" Amy said hitting him on the arm.

"Ow! Babe! Come on. I was just trying to make a point."

"Later," she dismissed him with a stern look on her face. But then she smiled and winked at me as she turned and pulled me inside. Sam trudged behind us.

"I hate you Z! "

"Aww! Love you too sweet! " I laughed.

Sam and Amy had gotten together the year before. How they ended up together is something that still baffles me. All they did was bicker and poke fun at each other. Then last year to evreyone's surprise Sam asked Amy out. And we were even more astounded when Amy after thinking for a few seconds, smiled and said yes. Our jaws dropped open and we looked back and forth between them. They turned to look at us.

"What ?"

We just shook our heads. And they've been together ever since. Sure they fight over the silliest things but at the end of the day they're both happy. And that's all that matters. Seeing them together made me happy and I was glad for them.

We got our lunch trays and took our seats. Hayley and Eric were already at the table and the only one missing was Alex.

"Hey where's Alex ? " I asked.

As if in answer to my question Alex turned up at the door. But he was not alone.

He was standing with Jessica Biers. He said something and she threw her head back, laughing and put her hand on Alex' arm. Alex gave a small smile and they went to get their lunch. He came to the table with Jessica and sat down opposite me with Jessica on his side.

I frowned but controlled my expression just in time.

"Hey guys!" he greeted happily, but there was something in his eyes, like he was fighting an inner battle or something but then they cleared and he smiled at me.

I smiled back a little tightly but I hoped he didn't notice it.

I had long ago realised that I had a crush on my best friend. Two years to be exact. And I also knew that he didn't think of me that way. To him I was just his friend. The one he grew up with.

I know this because I remember feeling this weird pang in my chest when during our sophomore year Alex told me that he was going on a date with Katie Norman. I didn't understand the feeling then, but I knew I didn't want to see him with Katie.

That same year a senior, Keith Rogers had asked me to go to the prom with him. He was the most popular senior in our school so why he would take an interest in me was beyond me. I told him I'd tell him later. He agreed.

I wanted to ask Alex what he thought but before I could he'd told me about his date with Katie Norman. I told him that I was happy for him and also that Keith had asked me to prom and that I would mostly go. I don't know why I agreed to going then. He'd turned silent but then he hugged me saying I should go if I wished to but to please be careful.

I did go but at the end of prom I told him that I didn't like him that way. He said he understood. Me constantly attacking on his poor toes probably helped him make that decision.

That weird feeling in my chest still wouldn't go away.

I remember convincing myself that the only reason I felt so was because I would get to spend less time with Alex as he would be busy if he got a girlfriend and I'd be stuck at home doing nothing.

Whenever Alex would talk about Katie he would smile and laugh. And that pang in my chest would start throbbing so bad that I could feel the pain as if someone were repeatedly striking me.

So that was what made me accept that I had a crush on him.

I used to think that maybe it was just because it was Katie. That I didn't like seeing him with her. But after that whenever I saw him talking with some girl other than Amy or Hayley that feeling would return.

Thinking back now I feel like laughing at myself.

A bitter sarcastic laugh.

I must have laughed out loud because everyone turned to look at me. I blushed and put my head down.

"Sorry I was thinking about something." I apologized.

After that I made a conscious effort to pay attention and not get lost in my thoughts. I learned that Jessica had asked Alex out in the morning and he had agreed. I tried not to show any emotion other than happiness but I felt someone's eyes on me.

I looked up to see Hayley looking at me with a knowing look in her eyes along with what looked like pity. I'd managed to hide how I felt about Alex from everyone. Successfully. Not even my mom knew. But Hayley seemed to know. Maybe I wasn't doing a good enough job at hiding it.

Or maybe it was just Hayley who knew. She was very observant. Yeah that must be it. I gave her a small smile as if to say I was alright and she smiled back sadly in return.

I excused myself from the table saying I needed to use the restroom and made my way there as my eyes started to sting.

***

That's it for now...Thank you for reading. Please let me know what you think ?