chapter 29 (final draft)

At exact 9, there was a knock on the door and she called for, a sniff, all of the newly mated to come into her office. She gestured her beta and Gama to leave, having finished her meeting with them, covering all the topics that they had needed to.

"Sit, sit." She said when they entered. "First of all, congratulations, once again." She gave them a happy smile.

"Thank you." Nick grinned back.

"These are papers you need to fill so that I can start a file for your mates and approval for them to move here and join the pack. Copy them and distribute them amongst yourselves." She handed him a packet. And then pointed to the list of the houses in front of her. "These houses are standing and ready to be occupied, you can choose one of them. Please try to be respectful that if the houses belong to someone's deceased relatives, then ask them first before you take the house."

She received solemn nods from them all. "Other than that, submit the papers as quick as possible to Axel. After that, there is nothing for you to do, I guess. Get out now." She laughed as they practically ran from the office and Axel came back in. "After they give you the papers, please compile the list of packs that we will be having members from and get their numbers so that I can contact them later."

He nodded, making a note on his planner. "TJ wants to speak to you later and so does River. TJ about security, he said he has an idea he wanted to pitch at you and River about the pup. Alpha Cortez asked about you yesterday at the ball. He would like you to call when you have a moment today."

She listened to the itinerary he had prepared for the day. "Send TJ in first then I will talk to Cortez, leave River for the last. He will probably take the longest."

"Very well. May I take the pup while you talk to the men?"

"Of course, you need not ask. Just bring him back when River comes." She rolled her eyes at him. "Do you want to go with Uncle Axel, pup?" She asked the boy in the play pen.

He giggled and raised his arms to his uncle who pulled him out of the enclosure and let him walk out of the office instead. Axel himself bowed to his alpha before leaving the office, nodding at TJ to head in and telling River that he would call for him later.

"Sit." She said as she gave him her full attention. "Has there been a lapse in the security?"

"No." TJ shook his head. "I was thinking. There will be a lot of traffic in and out of the pack the next few weeks. We will have to worry about our and their security. It will lengthen everyone's shifts and make it harder too. So, if the budget allows, I was wondering about cameras or motion sensors around the property. That will leave only one of us on duty at the screens while the others can focus on the other things."

Ariel stared at him in silence for a few moments as she went over the idea in her head. They had never relied on the cameras or sensors. It hadn't been a desired way of protection and not something that even came to their minds. They were very hands on as people. But that didn't mean that the idea wasn't a good one. But could they afford to do it? So far they had been making do with the money that came from their investments and the land and things that made them self-sufficient. She hadn't been able to pay them any money for their private use because she was trying to save to invest in more. It's not like they could go and get their own money. They had no time to do a job with all the patrols and stuff.

They had been patient and understanding but it was trying on all of them. Before the attack, those who worked for the pack like enforcers, warriors etc were paid by the pack while the rest of the pack had other jobs, outside of the pack too. The pack management provided food from their lands and the pack paid for it, they paid for their protections and then there were the investments. The system had worked for everyone. But now there was no one working outside, so no one was paying for the food and so there was no money made from that avenue.