chapter 17 (final draft)

A polite smile was on her face as she stood on the porch steps, watching the wolves come forward. They surrounded their alpha who shifted and put on his clothes. He emerged from their midst and walked forward. Wolves had become civilized over time but that didnt mean they had become exactly like humans. This meeting was formal as any human business meeting. But no one wore any formal clothing. As werewolves the clothing was always minimal and ruffled due to shifting at any given moment. No one bothered unless it was a celebratory event. Even then, everyone chose clothes they could easily get off if needed to shift.

Hence, the alpha was wearing khaki shorts and an untucked, unbuttoned navy t-shirt as he walked towards her. Ariel had chosen to wear simple blue jeans and white v neck top.

"Alpha Richard." She shook his extended hand with a firm grip. "Welcome to my territory."

"Alpha Ariel. Thank you for having me." He replied with a polite smile too.

"The pleasure is all mine." She let out a chuckle and shook her head when he raised an eyebrow. "I hate polite talk."

He let out a surprised laugh which sounded more like a bark.

"Let's head inside and get the business part over with, unless you want to wait?"

"Nah, business is just fine." He replied. She led him inside and up to her office.

They spent a few hours going over their alliance and made some amendments with the obvious changes in her pack. They used to have a protection treaty. They ran patrols and came when one of them needed help. Now it was added that her wolves would train his in time of need because obviously she didnt have the numbers she used to have that would have provided protection.

"Well, thats over. Are you hungry? Should I have lunch set up?"

"That sounds like a great idea. I am famished." He replied. She mind-linked her pack to set up and then walked the members of the pack out of the office. As they descended the stairs silently and leisurely, the pack had the food set up. Smiling proudly at their right timings, she gestured them to sit down and started eating.

"That was delicious." Richard said with a smile. "I am stuffed."

"How about a walk?" She suggested with a chuckle.

"I agree." She stood up to lead them outside.

Alpha, you will tire. River said worriedly.

I will be fine, River. Relax. She said with a smile and closed the mind-link. "So how is the pack going under your rule, Alpha? I heard that your father had been reluctant to hand it over to you." She asked with a smile to show she wasnt trying to offend him.

"How do you know that?" He asked with a frown.

"He came to me before your coronation to say he wasnt sure if he was making the right decision. I told him it was your birth right and you will take over eventually." She smiled. "How is your father? I havent talked to him in a while."

"He is fine and I wasn't aware you two were friends. He rarely talked about your father. And when he did, I always detected a hint of animosity." Richard said.

"Oh, our fathers hated each other. However, your father couldn't resist my charm." She chuckled. "Their hatred goes back years."

"DO you know the reason? Dad always ignores the topic when I bring it up." He asked, curiosity shining in his eyes.

"Are you sure I should tell you? Your father must have hid it for a reason. I don't want to meddle." She said, her lips pursed as she walked on the path with nimble steps. She had kept their pace slow, not wanting to tire herself out too quickly.