Chapter 21 (final part)

She smiled as her pup opened his eyes and looked around himself tiredly. His gaze met hers and he smiled toothlessly. She grinned back and leaned over him, kissing all over his face. It was the first smile in two days, ever since he had gotten sick. She kissed his head once last time and grinned at her.

"Hi, bud. You hungry?" She put a finger on his lips. He opened his mouth and let her finger in. She giggled and pulled it away. A frown formed on his face as she did that and then grinned again when she kissed his nose. "So slightly hungry. Not yet starving, huh?"

He giggled at her cooing and she laughed.

"Come on then, let's try feeding from mommy today. Mommy has been working on preparing some milk for her baby. River gave mommy the pump to help and it has been working. Since you aren't as hungry, mommy can work on helping you latch. Doesn't that sound exciting?" She grinned at him. He gripped her finger and looked at her, completely focused on his mother. "Come here."

She picked him up and lay him on his stomach over herself. Sometimes when he was fussy, that was the only way he slept or even calmed down. River said it had something to do with her heartbeat that did it for him and would probably be the best way to get him to feed from her. She pulled the straps for her tank top down and pulled him closer to see what he would do. He laid still for a moment and then he turned his head, searching for her nipple, the way River said he would instinctively do. She grinned and felt him try and suck. But he stopped after a moment. A whimper fell from his mouth as he let go of her nipple.

She sighed, realizing there was no milk for him to suck. "It's okay, baby. Mommy's gonna get the formula." She straightened her shirt and put him against her shoulder. She got off the bed and walked to his room where his formula was. She made him a bottle and sat down on the rocking chair in his nursery. Cradling him in her arms, she put the bottle to his mouth. "Sorry, bud. Mommy's trying to do her best. I can't seem to do anything right by you, Zane."

She kissed his hand as he stared at her with love in his eyes. Zane always looked at her with something akin to love in his eyes but when he was drinking milk, it went to another level. /She could never look away from the adoration and love in his eyes during that time.

Alpha, there's a call for you? Axel sounded confused. She had taken some time off to be with her pup when he got sick and because Richard left the same day, she really had nothing urgent to take care of.

Is it Enrico? She asked, still looking at her pup.

Yes. He said you allowed him to call earlier than he had said. Axel said.

Yes. Patch him through to my office. I'll talk to him. She said and kissed Zane's hand. "Looks like we will continue in my office, huh?"
He smiled at her as she carried him out of her suite and into her office on the floor. She sat down on her chair and put Zane in her lap again, putting the bottle in his mouth. He started sucking and she touched his nose.

"You eat a lot don't you? You want to be big and strong like your dada." She cooed as she waited for the call to be patched through. "Alpha Ariel here." She said as she put the phone on speaker and kept her gaze on her baby.

"Enrico here, Alpha. How are you? And your pup?"

"He is good, thankfully, Enrico. The medicine really helped, thank you for that."

"That's great. I'm glad I could be of service." He said. "And you? How are you yourself? I was told you lost your mate in the attack."

"I am getting better." She said, looked down at her pup who was staring at her face. "SO what's going on, Enrico?"

There was a silence for a moment. "Are you aware of the conversation I had with your beta?"

"Yes. Explain to me how you had no idea about the attack on my pack."

"That's what I am trying to find out. I have looked high and low for any record of it in my paperwork and there is nothing. Not a single mention of the attack. Tell me why that is?"

"How should I know? After I took the title and settled the pack down, I mailed all that had happened, how it happened, who died and who was alive." She said, sitting back and making circles on her baby's hand.

"Well, that's what I am worried about. I knew your father and I know about you. I believe when you say that you sent it but it hasn't reached my attention. And it's worrying. The paperwork should have been on my table as soon as you sent it. But it wasn't."

"Gideon and Bane?"

"None of them know anything. For now they don't believe that you sent it either. Someone went to the trouble of not only destroying your mail but also any record of it. I looked over the email your doctor sent me too. Someone did deny him but I can't trace them either."

She closed her eyes. "What should I prepare for then?"

"Watch anyone who seems suspicious. In your pack or whatever visitors you might have. I will try to figure it out on my end too." HE paused before continuing. "The paperwork from your father's time, is it available?"

"Yes."

"Try to look for a discrepancy. I am not sure what you should look for but just be alert."

She listened to him as she put the now empty bottle aside and put her pup against her shoulder, rubbing his back, trying to burp him. She started pacing the length of her desk and a frown formed on her face. "There might be a simpler explanation for it all."

"I hope so but I don't want to take a chance." He sighed. "I'm sorry for worrying you but it needs to be done."

"Alright." She said, a frown on her face.

"One last thing, I know when you think everything over, you'll start doubting everything I say. But I..." He was interrupted by wailing from her shoulder. She pulled her pup away from her shoulder and put him down in her lap.

"Hi, bud. What's up with you, huh? Mommy's right here." She coed and blew raspberries on his stomach. He giggled loudly and she laughed too. "I am sorry, he's gotten a bit clingy and attention demanding since he got sick." She apologized to the councilman.

He chuckled. "I understand." He then became serious. "As I was saying, I know soon you'll start second guessing what I am saying. But I want to assure you that I can be trusted. I knew your father and your mother. They were like my family and I want you to know that I would never betray them or you."

"If they were your family, how come I have never seen you before?"

"Your father didn't want me to come to your pack. We kept our friendship hidden. He wanted your pack away from the limelight that comes with me. Didn't want you to be in danger. If you want proof. There are pictures and documentation in his paperwork."

She nodded. "Alright. But if I am betrayed by you, you will die." She assured him, her words blank of any emotion.

"Understood." Enrico replied understandably. "If something comes up, call me and I will do the same."

"Very well." She hung up and sat down on the couch, absentmindedly playing with her baby. She thought over the conversation she just had and the things that had been happening. Even though she had no reason to not trust Enrico, she had no reason to trust him either. Should she keep it to herself? Or should she at least discuss with her beta and gamma. She trusted them both.

"What do you think, Zane?" She asked her pup with an exhausted sigh.

He gurgled and she let out a small laugh.

"Give it a few days? Alright then, Mr. Smith. You will be a great alpha one day if you keep this up." She laughed and kissed his head. "Let's go and check up on the pack before we head to bed. We really need to install an elevator for your mommy."

I know its shorter than the last ones but i was having trouble writing but I still wanted to upload. I hope you enjoy

xoxo