chapter 1 (final draft)

"Ariel, run, just run...." He said kissing her one last time.

"No, come with me, Adrian. I can't leave you!" She begged. He looked at her with pain in his eyes, another howl sounded from the fight going on around us.

"Ariel, go! I have to make sure you live, please, baby. I will cause a distraction, run." She looked at him with tears falling with tears blurring her vision.

"Please, baby. I love you." He kissed her one last time, sensing her defeat. "Be strong."

"I love you too."

She nodded and chin quivering, tears falling, she ran. She gave him one last long glance and saw him already fighting. He was not as fast as her. They both knew that if he hadn't caused a distraction and if he had gone with her, they would both be dead. She ran for miles until she thought she was far enough, but her legs wouldn't stop. She kept running. Until she tumbled to the floor, with fiery pain erupting in her chest. Her wolf howled and retreated to the back of her head. He was dead, her mate was dead. She lay back on the ground, cold and naked. Her wolf howling was in pain in the back of her head. He was dead.

She opened her eyes, getting rid of her nightmare of a memory. She looked around and sighed when she noticed that it wasn't a dream. She was still in the uncomfortable hospital bed. She did an inventory of her body. Finally after a week, her body felt strong enough. She waited until the nurse did her normal routine before she stood up. She tiptoed out of her room and walked to the closest storage type room. She grabbed a shirt and trousers and put them on.

Barefoot, she walked to the pediatric ward. She looked at the sleeping babies and a small smile made its way on her face.

She stepped inside and went to the largest new born. She picked him up and held him to her chest softly. He was so beautiful. So perfect. Too bad she couldn't give him what he deserved. She kissed his forehead and stepped out of the ward. It was a good thing he had healed already instead. He was an alpha blood, of course he healed faster than she had. She would have to, but since she lost she wolf, it had been hard.

She carried him out of the hospital and walked to an available taxi. The driver was old and he looked like such a gentle soul. She got into the backseat.

He looked at her. "Where to?"

She gave him the address and sat back, looking at her baby.

"Yours?"

"Yeah." She nodded, watching as the boy yawned and opened his brown eyes. She stroked his cheek gently. They rode in silence until an hour later they reached their destination. By then, her arm was aching. She still hadn't fully healed and she had to admit the boy was heavy. She sighed as she got out of the car, stumbling on her step. The car turned off and the man came out. He stepped forward.

"May I?" He asked, gesturing to the boy.

She handed him the boy.

"Lead the way." He said.

"Thank you." She told him. He smiled at her and shook his head.

"What kind of a man would I be if I didn't help you?" He asked. She smiled at him and led the way to the house. She rang the bell and heard the man inside curse.

"Who calls so late at night?" He yelled a moment before he opened the door. His eyes fell on her and his face softened. "Hi, Ari. What a surprise. Come in."

She smiled at him. "Do you have some cash?"

He nodded.

"Can you pay the taxi fare?" She asked him.