chapter 17

"Ichigo is the new captain, isn't he."

Rukia Kucheki was having tea with her brother. It was piercing quiet and she couldn't take it anymore. She slammed her cup against the table.

"S-sorry." She mumbled instinctively. Her brother closed his eyes and breathed a soothing breath. Byakuya's hair bounced in front of his face, and he brushed it away.

"Rukia, are you familiar with the law of Hireseno?" Byakuya' voice was completely even. It was almost soothing or hypnotic, how he said anything with the same amount of emotion. But it angered Rukia. She balled her fists.

"The law that states that after being in the soul society awhile you start to forget your life before. It starts with friends and places then boils it down to your entire life except for family and your name." Rukia answered, reciting what every soul reaper hates and has to learn.

It was a harsh reality, one that soul reapers shunned and forgot. It was always in the back of your mind along with a question: who was I when I was living?

For Rukia, it was simple. She died in an accident when she was a baby and got sent here with her sister. That's all she needed to know. But for some people who dwelled on that thought, that one little law ruled their world.

It always brings up that one question, that one burden that couldn't be lifted.

"Correct. Since we haven't had a case like this before, we do not know if he will forget his soul reaper past and become almost powerless once again." Byakuya startled Rukia from her thoughts. She knew this already, but hearing it made it 1000 times worse.
Ichigo might forget me.

It made her sick to her stomach. As Byakuya continued, she brushed a lock of black hair from her eyes.

"The headcaptain decided to make him the new captain of squad 10." Rukia wasn't surprised, but rather happy to know that. She would get to see him!

"He's not showing any signs of the effects of the law of hereseno. So at least for now he's safe. I would still keep an eye on his memory though." When Byakuya finished his advice he pushed up from his chair and set his tea cup on the table.

"You finish your tea." He commanded as he left the highly decorated room.

Rukia sighed at her brother as she continued to mindlessly sip her tea. Thoughts spiraled through her mind but she tried to keep her worries to a minimum. She angrily slammed the cup on the table and started to flashstep.
************************************

Rongiku's eyed were streamed with tears. She stared at her new orange haired captain and she exsaustedly sat down.

"Ichigo, what are you doing here?" She mumbled. She had bags under her eyes and her voice sounded tired. Ichigo sighed and sat down beside her.

"I guess I'm your new captain. I'm sorry about To.... Captain Hitsuguya." Ichigo was going to say Toshiro, abut decided against it.

Not listening to Ichigo's exclamation, she flung her legs onto the couch and closed her eyes.
"Whatever. Better get some sleep, the squad isn't going to be very happy with you in the morning." Rongiku said with as much emotion as she had left.

Yeah, thanks for stating the obvious.

"Okay. See you in the morning." He turned and started off to his bedroom.
******

The doorknob was cold, as if the room inside hadn't been used for a long time. It sent a rush through Ichigo, but he turned the knob and entered the room. Someone lay a had on his back and he spun around with such inhuman speed it even startled Rukia.