chapter 13

This chapter is going on about the same time as the last...
Rongiku swayed back and forth as she returned to her barracks from drinking. Her orange hair covered her wide eyes.

She approached the office and knocked on the door.
"Captain? I'm back from my very important luetenant business! Are you finished with your paperwork yet?" She slurred. She stood as she waited for an angry response. None came.
In fact, no sound came from his office.

"CAPTAIN? ARE YOU IN THERE?" She drunkenly screamed. "I'm coming in." She said a little softer. She twisted the knob and opened the door. The lights were still on, but no movement came from the room.

Rongiku screetched a blood curdling scream. She began to shake, and fell to her knees. Her eyes filled with tears as she screamed again. Soldiers ran in to see why she was screaming, and they stopped in their tracks when they reached the room.

The air around them stilled as they all stared in shock.

On the floor of the squad ten captain's office was a dead body.

And it was the squad ten captain, Toshiro Hitsuguya himself.
************************************

"Luetenant, we are awaiting orders. Do we go straight to the head captain?" Asked one of the soldiers after everything settled in. Rongiku took a few shuttering breathes. Then a few more.

"I will go. Where's our third seat ?" She asked. The soldiers extanged looks.
"Our third seat died In the Aizen incident. That was a while ago, Luetenant." Rongiku shook her head.

"I'm sorry. I knew that, I wasn't thinking. Forth seat.." She made eye contact with a young high ranking officer.

"Forth seat Chiba. We will go tell Head-captain Yammamotto. The rest of you call for squad four to retrieve.." She took another long breath.
"The body."
The soldiers nodded and Rongiku, still in utter shock and quite frankly, wanted to vomit, took the forth seat and started for the head-captain's squad one barracks.

"Ma'am, where's your captain? We can't let you through-"

"Luetenant Matsumoto, we can't let you in." Rongiku was holding the forth seat by the wrist as she trudged through the crowd of soldiers stationed at the head captain's office. Rongiku did her best not to burst into tears again, and she barely succeded.

Rongiku came to the grand door and knocked.

"Who's there?" The angry voice of Yammamotto asked.

Rongiku and forth seat Chiba straightened as Rongiku replied.

"Luetenant Matsumoto and forth seat Chiba of squad ten, sir. Permission to enter with.." She sniffled.

"Very urgent news." She breathed and closed her eyes as she waited for a response. She couldn't lose the image of Toshiro lying on the ground, a whole where his heart was. It sent shivers up her spine and she closed her eyes so that tears might not escape.

"Come in." He said, curious on what was wrong.

Rongiku and Chiba rushed in and kneeled.

"Sir. Captain Hitsuguya of squad ten was found dead in his office 23 minutes ago." Chiba reported, after Rongiku was lost for words. Rongiku looked down as more tears fell. She evened her breathing.

Yammamotto whipped around and stared at the two squad memebers.

"Confirmed?" He asked.

"His chest was stabbed from behind, sir. He had no pulse and..." Each word stung his lips, and keeping a straight face was almost impossible.

"He... definitely passed away sir. Killed from behind." Yammamotto slammed his staff on the ground.

"Cowards! How dare they attack a man from behind! Very well. In the morning I will have an emergency meeting to discuss the matter." He looked sturnly at Rongiku, and he didn't seem to change his composure at all.

"Please inform luetenant Renji Abadi to retrieve Captain Kucheki from the soul reaper academy. Do not tell him why." He ordered. Rongiku nodded and together, Chiba and Luetenant Matsumoto left the Head-captain.

Rongiku was still shaking. Her hair was all over the place and her eyes were balls of red. She saw Luetenant Abadi and ran after him, using flash step to block his path.

"Rongiku? Jeez you look horrible." He scratched his head nervously.

"What do you need? He asked.

"Head-captain needs you to retrieve Captain Kucheki from the soul reaper academy emediately and bring him here for a captain's meeting in the morning." Renji nodded, but squinted his eyes in suspicion.

His heart began to thump. It did this when he was scared for the people he loved, and he knew he couldn't help it.

"Why? Is it Rukia? Rongiku, you know, don't you?!?" He yelled urgently. His eyes became wild and he stared at Rongiku, who was falling apart again.

"No, not Rukia. I-I don't know what the meeting is for. I was just told to tell you your orders." She lied. Renji twisted his face.

"Okay. I'll go there now. Thanks." He finished, and he turned from the direction he was going and flashed stepped into the disrance.

Rongiku was lying in her bed trying to sleep.
This isn't happening.
She thought redundantly.

First Captain Shiba, then Gin, now captain Hitsuguya.
This isn't real.
It can't be.

The days events kept replaying in her mind. Rongiku legitimately didn't believe it.

She always believed that she shared a bond with these three people that could only be severed by death. When Gin died, something snapped inside of her, but she didn't feel anything when Captain Shiba or Hitsuguya dissapeared.
She just felt.... empty... Alone... But she still felt the strong bond that the luetenant and the captain shared.

She opened her eyes and found it was no lighter than when her eyes were shut. She stared at the utter darkness and found that one thing was for certain: hope was one thing she would never give away.

Not in a million years.
************************************

The captains lined up for the captain's meeting lined up. Three vacant spots were left. One for squad three, formally Gin's spot, one for squad five, formally Aizen's place, and a newly vacant spot, squad ten captain Hitsuguya's spot was vacant as well.

"This Captain's meeting is officially in order." Roared head-captain Yammamotto. The captains extanged suspicious looks as he went on.

"Recent events have made me regretfully inform you of the death of former squad ten captain, Toshiro Hitsuguya." The air stilled and every captain's eyes widened in shock. Several captain's felt a rush of loss, and others warily flinched at the fact.

"How in the world did that happen?" Captain Ukitake stepped out of the line he stared at the Head-captain and waited for any response.

"His body was brought to the squad 4 barracks to be anylized. It is apparent that his poor soul was stabbed from behind and emediately suffered a fatal wound."
Captain Unohana explained, using the most sincere voice possible.

"He was gone when we got there." She added, but this time her voice was softer. The thirteen court guard squads were for the first time in pure, utterly quite.
No one volunteered to speak, or to add an oppinion, they just grieved the lost of the young brave prodigy who's heart was a part of everyone's life.

For the first time in ages, every member of the assembled captain's had the same question in mind: how.

And for the first time In captain history, no one had the slightest idea how to answer that.

Authors note: don't freak out! Don't freak out! I have a plan so just stay calm!!!!
Big shocker right? Poor Toshiro.....
Anyway Thank you for reading! I hope you are enjoying my fanfiction so far! It might seem a little slow but I think it will start to escalate about now.
Hope you like my stories! Remember to keep calm and fan on!