Chapter Thirty-One | Nerves

28. 09. 15

The black X was placed directly and delicately in the center of that box on the calendar that hung on the white-washed bedroom wall. As Kyungsoo stared at it, it clicked in his mind that that date was only a mere three days away. This realization slapped him right across the face and despite all of Jongin's loving encouragement, it scared him to death. Just the mere thought that by this time next week he would in the overwhelming majority that could hear petrified him. 

Of course, he was looking forward to the end result of being able to utilize his ears in the way they were meant to be utilized, he just didn't know if he would make it through the actual process. But the one thing that always seemed to be able to console his nerves was the hope that the first voice he would hear when he opened his eyes was Jongin's and to him, that was worth any amount of pain and discomfort he had to experience.

Not much talk of the surgery had come up since the day that Kyungsoo had made up his mind, besides talking about it with the surgeon when he was scheduling the appointment. The surgeon said the procedure typically took between one to two hours to complete correctly and that Kyungsoo would be put into an induced comatose-like state during that time span, but he also mentioned that he would need to stay for an extra day just to make sure the surgery went well. If he had enough patience, he said, Jongin could stay out in the waiting area and of course, he agreed to that without hesitation. Kyungsoo worried that Jongin would get bored waiting that long for him, but Jongin, being the shameless romantic that he was, reassured him that no time he spent on Kyungsoo could be considered wasteful.

The little bell attached to the top of the door rang as Kyungsoo pushed it open and walked in. When the alarming sounded entered his ear, Jongin turned around and smiled brightly as his smaller but older boyfriend waved at him. Temporarily, he laid the damp dishrag on the edge of the deep sink and started to walk toward Kyungsoo, making them meet halfway no more than a minute later.

"Hey, baby," Jongin said, greeting Kyungsoo before placing his hands on the small of his back and kissing him tenderly. "You're early. I didn't think you would be here for another ten minutes."

Kyungsoo glanced back at the clock and shrugged. I guess I just missed you so much that I couldn't wait any longer, he said, the tone in his hand movements making Jongin chuckle airily before pecking his sweet lips with another kiss.

"I just have to finish these dishes and then I'll be ready to go," he said, earning an affirmative nod from Kyungsoo before heading back to work, his pace quicker than it previously was. Kyungsoo decided to take a seat at one of the recently cleaned tables and get a head start on the assigned novel he had to read for his literature class. He was only about half a page in when the movement of feet caught his eye and he looked up, his eyes going slightly wide when he saw Baekhyun walk in.

The two still weren't exactly on speaking terms since the hypocrisy incident, at least not the terms they used to be on. They exchanged friendly greetings as any person would and remained civil for Jongin's sake, but they rarely spent any time alone together nowadays because both of them knew that an angry tension was still hanging over their heads. 

If he was being perfectly honest, that was one of the top things Kyungsoo missed about his life before his mother's curse came swooping into town. He missed the long conversations they would have about anything and everything and how harmoniously their messages transitioned from one subject to the next. He missed those nights when both Chanyeol and Jongin were working the night shift and Baekhyun would come over to watch horror films with Kyungsoo until they couldn't keep their open anymore.

Kyungsoo missed everything about their friendship and he wanted it back.

After diverting his eyes away, Baekhyun awkwardly scurried into the kitchen, not knowing that Jongin had seen the previous scene. "Chanyeol forgot his jacket here," Baekhyun said without making proper eye contact with the younger, walking over to the row of silver, metal hooks that hung in the pack and swiftly grabbing the red and black flannel jacket off of one of them. "See ya," he said, briefly waving and trying to scamper out of the kitchen as fast as he possibly could.