Chapter Thirty | A Chance

"So if he decides to get this surgery, he'll be able to hear?" Jongin, being the open friend that he is, talked to Chanyeol about the current conflict going on within Kyungsoo while they were cleaning up the mess working left behind.

"Pretty much," was Jongin's reply, his head briefly facing Chanyeol as he washed the remaining dishes in the deep sink.

"Dude, how awesome would that be?" he said, slowly walking over and standing beside his younger best friend. "It would be so much easier for you two to communicate. Hell, it would easier for all of us to communicate."

"Yeah, it would," Jongin said, nodding his head in agreement as he turned his body around. Chanyeol noticed a certain uneasiness in Jongin's voice and expression as he wiped his hands off with a white towel and pressed the small of his back against the sink's edge.

"That doesn't sound very convincing," he said, placing his hand on a nearby table and pouring his body weight against it. "What, don't you want him to get it?"

"No, it's not that way, not at all," Jongin said immediately, shaking his head and hands. "It's just that I don't know if he will."

"Well, why wouldn't he?" Chanyeol said, shrugging his shoulders as his brown pupils moved into the corners of his eyes for a moment. "He finally has a chance to be able to hear and he doesn't know if he wants it?"

"It's not as easy as that, though," Jongin said in defense of his boyfriend. "You know, he's been living with his disability all of his life and he's been fine with it for the most part. It's almost like to him, not being able to hear isn't even a disability anymore, it's just his unique reality. So, when something like this comes along and basically tells him that his mindset for the past 23 years has been wrong, it's understandable why he would be torn up about it."

"Yeah, but he hates to be a burden to other people, right? Especially the ones he cares about?" Chanyeol said, earning a perplexed nod from Jongin. "So, if he gets this surgery, he wouldn't be. I mean, wasn't the whole reason he left before because he wanted you to have a normal relationship?"

Jongin sighed in anxiety and ran all five of his fingers through his dark brown hair. "I don't know what to say, man, but I do know that I will not push him to make a decision that I want," he said, speaking with his hands as well as his words. "This is his choice and he needs to make it on his own. Besides, I didn't start dating him because I thought it would be easy and I didn't give up on him because it was hard. I fought through it all because I love him and didn't care whether he could hear or not and that's the one thing that will never change."

A closed grin took over Chanyeol's face and he shook his head slowly. "Can I get a round of applause for the romantic poet?" he said, making Jongin laugh and throw the towel at him. "Seriously though, dude, how do you not puke at your own words sometimes? I mean, this is like some Nicholas Sparks shit right here."

"What can I say?" Jongin said in a boastful tone, untying his apron and laying it on the table Chanyeol was leaning on. "I am a shameless romantic who has nothing to give to this world besides love." Chanyeol's face scrunched up in disgust as he watched the younger exit the kitchen and head toward the door.

"That kid," he scoffed, the air he exhaled coming out as a chuckle. He smirked and shook his head again, watching Jongin disappear around the corner before heading back to work.

**************

It was right in front of his face, staring him dead in the eyes. Kyungsoo was frozen in place, somehow put in a trance by its intimidating aura. From the bold letters and the large, eye-catching font, Kyungsoo never thought an advertisement could be so terrifying. To him, it was as of that piece of paper was the equivalent of a fortune teller that was telling him his future and all the things he had to do in order to achieve his happy ending. But Kyungsoo had never been one to look ahead at tomorrow; he preferred to keep his eyes focused on today. However, he was having trouble doing that now that his tangible future was peering at him.