Chapter 4: Dinner

"Well Jen how was your meal?"

"It was delicious, Colin. Thank you so much. It was a wonderful evening."

We were now walking back to his house, which was about 10 minutes from my apartment. We were walking really close together, I didn't notice until our hands started to touch. Caught up in the moment, I grabbed his hand and intertwined my fingers with his. Colin looked really confused. I had never held his hand off set. I pulled my hand away quickly."

"Uhh I am sorry I just- I didn't kn- I wasn't thinking-." I was fumbling through my words. It was embarrassing and humiliating. I walked briskly ahead of him and tried to catch a cab.

"Jen, hey, Stop walking so fast."

He grabbed my arm.

"Don't worry about it. It didn't mean anything and you weren't thinking, right? Best friends have the right to hold hands, Jen." He chuckled, making me a little less nervous. I slowed back down to the pace he was walking. After a few seconds he took my hand and held it tightly.

"See? Nothing to be bothered about."

He winked at me. I wish we were walking on a road that goes forever. I never wanted to let go of his hand. I knew right when we arrived at my apartment I would have to let go. Mentally and physically.

20 minutes later, we arrived at his house. I was a little confused, not knowing how I was going to get home.

"Colin, what are you doing? We aren't at my apartment yet."

When he was going to unlock the door, I realized we were still holding hands. He let go.

"Well I thought maybe you wouldn't mind staying here for a movie night. I'm tired of walking and my car has been goofing up."

"Oh sure, that's fine."

Colin and I had spent the night together before, but usually with more people than just us. We had become so close, being each other's family when our other family was away. So it wasn't unusual for me to be staying with him.

"Colin, I don't mean to be a bother but ice cream sounds really good right now".

Colin giggled.

"Okay Jen. I'll get my little princess some ice cream".

Sarcasm. Funny, Colin.

After 15 minutes, Colin still wasn't back with my ice cream. I found it strange, so I went into the kitchen to see what the hold-up was.

Colin wasn't there.

"Colin, are you in here? Stop messing around. You're scaring me!"

I tried calling him, but his phone was on the table next to me. I felt like I was in a horror movie, and I was going to walk in another room and see him dead.

Then I heard a car pull in the driveway. I went to the window to see who it was. It was Colin.

"Colin, where were you?!"

"Sorry for worrying you, Jen. I snuck out the back and went to town to get you some ice cream." He had 2 cups from Coldstone Creamery. I peeked in the cup. Cherries, chocolate chips, chocolate hot sauce, caramel hot sauce and chopped nuts. Exactly what I liked.

"Anyways, you sounded so desperate for ice cream and I realized I didn't have any in my freezer. So I decided to run to town and get you your ice cream!"

"Well thank you Colin, but you didn't have to. Besides, how did you get to town since your car needs repairs?"

Colin started to blush.

"Uhm. I...walked?"

He looked at me and winked, trying to see if I would believe him. I didn't. I saw his car pull in. He lied to me so I could stay here and give him company. That's sweet. I blushed and we both started laughing.

I went back to the living room and lay on the couch. Colin was laying on his recliner.

"What do you want to watch?"

"How about Outlander?"

He turned it on, as I said.

"Remember when Sam, the guy on this show, beat me in that Alpha Male Madness competition? Gosh. What a jerk."

I laughed so hard. Sam was good looking, but Colin was much more attractive. He made pouty lips and puppy eyes and I went over to sit with him.

"Oh stop that. You definitely should have won!"

"Oh thank you Jen, That makes me feel better." He smirked at me and we both started laughing.

We ended up watching If I Stay which makes me cry every time I watch it. We were still sitting in the little recliner together. When I started crying, he wiped my tear rolling down my check and started holding my hand again. It felt good, but it was just friendly, nothing more.