The Billionaire's Housekeeper - Chapter 5

Mulai dari awal

"Hey kiddos," Betsy smiled down at the children, ignoring the eyes boring into her face.

"Are you going to play with us today?"

Reaching out a hand, Betsy tucked the young girl's hair behind her ear and shook her head.

"No, I have to go out today." She said. "You can play with your brother. Maybe we can do some colouring when I come home?" She added upon seeing the young girl's crestfallen face.

"My driver will take you where you need to go." Nicholas stated with his gaze now firmly upon the newspaper which was laid out of the table before him.

"That's not necessary, I can drive myself."

Nick lifted his eyes from the paper, a crease forming between his brows as he frowned. "You have a car? I was under the impression you got a taxi here."

"I do. And I did. Get a taxi that is." Betsy replied just as Ms Reed came through the door with a tray full of breakfast. "My car broke down on my way here. The mechanic dropped it off a few days ago after the repairs were done."

Nick's eyes bored into the woman's forehead. "What car do you have?"

"Oh, it's nothing special. It's just an old run around to get me from A to B."

Sitting up straighter in his seat, Nick used his dark eyes to pin the blonde in place. "You don't happen to be talking about the rust bucket which turned up on my drive earlier this week. I had that wreck disposed of."

Betsy's mouth dropped open on a gasp. "You got rid of my car?"

"It was a hazard. I was doing you a favour."

Her face turned red as outrage overwhelmed her. Pushing back her chair from the table as she stood abruptly, Betsy glared at her new boss. "How dare you? It was my property! You had no right to do that. I can't afford a new car."

Nicholas blinked at the irate blustering woman. "I apologise that I have saved you from the death trap. I will think before acting next time."

The two Davenport children sat in their seats, heads quickly looking from one adult to another. Noting the little wobble to Tommy's lips and the sheen appearing in his eyes, Betsy quickly tried to remove the anger from her face. Her hands instinctively reached out to soothe the small boy, her hands carding through his hair even as her gaze remained locked on the infuriating man before her.

Using the voice he usually left incompetent employees, Nick added. "You WILL use my driver today."

Betsy opened her mouth to argue but with a quick glance at the children and the flustered Ms Reed hovering in the doorway, she responded curtly. "Fine. But we will be discussing this later."

The man before her shrugged his shoulders and picked up his cutlery from the table as Ms Reed set his food before him.

"Whatever you want Miss Jones."

Resisting the urge to growl, Betsy sat back down on her chair and instead focused her attention on the two children. She would back down for now, for the children's sake, but she and her new boss were going to have a talk.

**

An hour later Betsy was dressed and ready to face the world. It was the first time since working for the incredibly wealthy man that she had actually had time to herself. Due to his high regard for privacy, there were a limited number of people who were authorised to enter his home and as a result, there were limited people Betsy could speak to who were above the age of five.

Not that she disliked the children. It was quite the opposite.

Sliding in to the back seat of the car, her heart warmed at the sight of the three people stood on the front door step. Nicholas, dressed now in a pair of jeans and a plain tee shirt, stood with his arms folded across his chest. His face was a stony mask as he watched on. It was the two small people at flanking him which affected her so much. Both Tommy and Delilah were waving with enthusiasm, their arms moving so hard that their entire bodies were swaying with the motion.