The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 19

Start from the beginning

I didn't realize I was crying until I felt one of the tears trickle into my mouth. I quickly wiped them away, and ran to class.

                                                        *                             *                            *

I was home, the phone cradled in my hands, ready to dial Chastity and Aimee's numbers. I should probably call Chastity first. I thought. She's more likely to say yes.

I quickly dialed the number and pressed Talk, only for me to quickly hang up the phone when it started ringing. I couldn't do this, they probably don't even like me.

What makes you say that?

I'm an ugly, pregnant girl with a broken family and a best friend who wants to be more.

Good point.

"Hey! I thought you were supposed to be supportive?!" I yelled. To my head. I was going insane.

I dialed again, and held my breath as the phone rang. "Hello?" A woman's voice, not Chastity, answered. Was this her mom? Didn't her parents kick her out?

"Um, hi. Is Chastity there?" I asked.

"Oh yes! Are you one of her friends from the Pregnancy Club?" The woman asked, sounding excited.

"Yes, that's me." I chuckled nervously.

"Oh, wonderful! I'll go get her right now. What's your name, dear?" She asked. I breathed I sigh of relief. Even though I was in the Pregnancy Club, she didn't seem to hate me.

"Sadie." I answered. I could hear her running up stairs.

"Here she is." I could hear some crackling, and then Chastity's voice.

"Sadie?"

"Yeah, it's me." I answered.

"What's up?"

"Oh, nothing. I was just wondering if you wanted to go to the mall and maybe buy, like, baby stuff. With me. And Aimee. If she comes." I said in a scattered rush.

"Oh, uh sure. I already have some stuff, but I could always use more. Where should we meet up?"

"Um, how about you come over to my house and I'll drive us all there." I suggested.

"Okay . . . where do you live?"

"Oh, sorry! I live on 39 St. Matthew's Drive." I stammered.

"No problem. Be there in a few!" She said cheerfully, and then hung up. Now for the hard part: Aimee.

I dialed up her number (we had each other's phone numbers for the phone tree) and waited for her to pick up.

"Yes?" I heard a bored voice speak into the phone. I was going to regret inviting her.

"Aimee? This is Sadie." I hoped she wasn't too good to remember my name.

"Oh, hi." She seemed to be paying more attention now. "What is it?"

"Uh, I was wondering if you wanted to come buy baby stuff with me and Chastity at the mall."

"Oh, uh . . . sure. I guess." She sounded nervous, as if she was afraid going anywhere other than the doctor's with us.

"Okay. Come by my house. It's 39 St. Matthew's Drive. I'll drive us there. Bye." I said before she could change her mind.

                                                                 *            *          *

We were at the mall, in the Babies R' Us section of Toys R' Us.

"Hey, what do you guys think of this stroller?" Aimee asked, pointing to a twin stroller. I knew that Sadie was pretty sensitive about having twins, I mean look how she reacted when she found out, so I decided to try and be supportive.

"It looks great. I like the . . . cup holders." I said. Aimee smiled a little.

"Do you think I should get the one with extra seat support or the glass windows?" Chastity was checking out the super high-tech strollers at the front, examing which one would most likely protect her baby from a bomb threat.

"Chastity, it's a stroller. Not a tank." Aimee laughed, giving Chastity a little slap on the arm. Chastity started laughing too. This was going better than I thought.

"Anyway, do you want to move on to clothes?" Chastity asked. We all agreed, so we made our way over.

                                                                      *          *          *

"Aw! Look how small these little shoes are!" Chastity raised her voice to a high pitch as she swooned over baby Converse sneakers.

"Do you think I should get the footie pajamas in pink or blue? Maybe I'll get two of each . . ." Aimee wondered aloud. I was getting so caught up in all the baby stuff I was feeling overwhelmed. I hadn't even decided to buy anything for the baby yet. I was just thinking about maternity clothes. But I suppose I could look at some baby stuff. And those footie pajamas were really cute . . .

                                                                       *            *           *

I ended up buying a whole bunch of stuff, including bottles (non-plastic), pajamas, shoes, containers that could hold homemade baby-food, toys and some clothes.

It wasn't until we got to the car that I realized that I was supposed to be giving the baby away.

"Ah, crap." I sighed. Aimee and Chastity were trying to strap down the strollers they had bought in the back of my dad's pickup truck,  but they stopped when they heard my cry.

"What's the matter?" Chastity asked, actually sounding concerned. She was going to be a great mother.

"I just realized that I still have the baby up for adoption!" I groaned, throwing my stuff in the passenger seat.

"Oh . . . that sucks." Aimee said sympathetically. (Well as sympathetically as Aimee could muster.)

"Oh no!" Do you want to return it?" Chastity asked.

"I probably should." I sighed, gathering up the items and heading back into the store. In a way, I almost regretted giving the baby up for adoption.

The regret only grew more as the cashier handed me back my money and took away all the items I had just bought, a small hint of annoyance on her face.

I trudged back to the car, Aimee and Chastity already buckled in, their strollers safely tucked in the back.

"Are you sure you want to give the baby up for adoption?" Chastity asked as I pulled out of the parking lot. I paused, considering her question. Right now, I honestly didn't know. I knew I wasn't ready for a baby, not to mention it would be a constant reminder of what me and Ben did, but now I wasn't sure. I mean, Aimee and Chastity seemed more than ready, almost excited. It's like the green light had turned on for them and they were ready to go, but my light was stuck in yellow.

But I couldn't take back the ad. For all I know someone interested could be looking at it right now, ready to dial me up. I was in whether I liked it or not.

"Yup. I'm sure."