Chapter 3: Forbidden Love

Start from the beginning

You smile, "Yes, I suppose I'll see you tonight then."

He bites his lip, staring at you a moment before he leans forward and presses a gentle kiss to your cheek, slowly pulling away and muttering, "My heart told me to do it," You blush and smile wider, your heart racing as you walk backwards to the balcony, "P-Please do be careful, David. I look forward to seeing you later..." he rubs the back of his neck nervously.

"Yes, I will. I mean, me too. I mean-" you bump into the ledge, "Okay..." He cracks a smile, biting his lip and offering a small wave. You wave back before climbing up and jumping back off the ledge.

~

Your name is PRINCE KARKAT VANTAS OF THE LAND DWELLING TROLLS and you're currently shaking in your boots. You're standing in front of MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, both troll and human, from all three lands. Everyone came to see you, PRINCESS FEFERI OF THE SEA DWELLING TROLLS, and PRINCE DIRK OF THE HUMANS. They're waiting for you to make your decision. No one but David and yourself knows who you are going to choose. You bow before the princess, your eyes scanning the crowd for David. You finally catch his eye. He's in the back, sitting on one of the highest pillars to watch. It's a surprise no one noticed him but he sends Crother to go perch on your shoulder. You flush and the crowd gasps. They know he is near, seeing how they fearfully scan the sky and everywhere around, and they all know they're lives are in danger. Or so they think.

You mutter for the bird to return to its master. As it flies off, you address the crowd, "Everyone, calm down. He will do us no harm. I swear on my life. He is no threat to us. Not today."

Prince Dirk takes your hand in his own, leaning down and brushing his lips over it. "I couldn't have said it better myself, my prince," He flashes you a smile, his bright orange irises gleaming. David frowns and glares at a tree nearby. You're beginning to sense that he's jealous. Crother returns and perches back on his shoulder. As you look between David and Dirk, you begin to notice slight similarities. They both had whitish blonde hair, unusually colored eyes, and similar facial structures. Then you realize why they look so similar. They're related. Dirk turns you towards the crowd to address the people. David glares at you, or rather seems to be. He crosses his arms and locks his jaw. Oh yes, he was jealous.

You clear your throat and stand up straighter as you begin to speak, "After much consideration, I have come to a conclusion. As you all know by now, I am to be wed to unify the lands. I have finally made my decision. Though I'm well aware that the unity of the land dwellers side of Alternia and the sea dwellers side of Alternia is very important, I've decided to take the first step in bringing our human neighbors closer to us. So," You turn to Dirk, take his hand, and look up at him. "Prince Dirk, would you do me the honor of marrying me and unifying our lands?"

He smiles and nods, "The pleasure would be all mine," The crowd cheers at the news, but David doesn't. You watch him from the corner of your eye as he stands up, turns, and jumps off the pillar. He pulls his hood on, trying to blend into the crowd, who didn't seem to notice him or just didn't care. You'd love to reach out and stop him, but he's already gone.

~

After the speech, you return to Karkat's palace. You're sitting on the prince's bed, legs crossed. You didn't even bother to take your boots off. Crother is no longer there. You've been casually carving a tiny statue out of the wood in your hands for the past few hours, waiting for the troll to arrive. It seems like eternity before Karkat quietly steps into the room, closing the door behind him, "...Hello..."

You look up and give him a smile that may or may not have been forced, "What do you think? It's you and the, uh, human prince" you hold up the statuette. The prince's hair was all wrong, but that's because you were making yourself before you started to correct it.