Chapter 13

School ends at 2:30, and we talk until four. The school closes for students at 5:30, so we decide it's a good idea to head out.
"You want to go home, or go get fro-yo and talk some more?"
"You know, fro-yo sounds good," I say. We make our way outside to the student parking lot. He directs me to a sleek, black convertible. I hop into the passengers seat and adjust the seat belt. He starts the car and makes his way off campus. It's a short drive to the frozen yogurt place, so we don't bother with small talk.
The place is a serve-yourself kind of deal, so we get our flavors and toppings. I don't fill my cup much, and I offer to pay for myself, but he insists on paying for the two of us. We sit down in a far corner, mostly isolated from the rest of the seats. It's a booth, so it's like sitting in a little private corner.
"You know, you're a lot more complex than I thought you were," he says, almost glad by the thought.
"You are, too."
"And this is only the first time we've met and talked, hm?"
I sit straighter, "I guess that's just gonna our normal."
"Nothing is normal."
We sit in the booth, first quietly. Though, I don't look up, I notice he sits and watches me for a few seconds and continues a few times. I get a warm feeling in my chest when he does this, and eventually I look up, unaware of him looking at me.
"What?"
"Huh? Oh, nothing, nothing. Sorry," he looks down at the table, at his empty cup. He puts his hand to his cheek and twirls his spoon. His face gets red, and I can tell he knows I'm watching him. I smile, my eyes switch between his embarrassed eyes, his lips, and his fingers with the spoon.
His eyes flick up at the same time my eyes meet his, "You watching me?" He says, almost cocky.
"Yeah, why?"
"Nothing, no reason." He smiles a little.
"You watched me, it was funny."
He gave a small laugh, "Was it?"
"Well, yeah. But more cute than funny."
He blushes, "Oh, okay." He looks back at his spoon.
Suddenly, he stands up, and comes to the other side of the table. He sits next to me and looks out the window across the room. I push over, giving him more room in the booth. He sighs, as if relieved he decided to move.
"We should get you home," he says.
"Okay, mom, let's go."
We head out to his car and drive to my house, again without the small talk. It takes a bit longer than the ride from the school to the fro-yo shop, but we still sit in silence.
He parks in front of my house. He gets out before I have a chance to unbuckle, and he opens my door.
"Why, thank you, sir," I say with my worst British accent.
"You're very welcome, my lady." We giggle and I step out of the car. He shuts the door, his hand slightly distanced from my hip. He looks at his hand, then up at my face. I feel a sense of safety, and relax against the car door.
"I had fun. Thank you," I say.
"You know, me too. Thank you." He sways back and forth a bit, then steps towards me. His eyes shift from mine to my mouth and back.
As his lips get close to mine, he says, "Good talk." He kisses me, for a few seconds. I close my eyes, and open them a second or two after he pulls back. He smiles, and I do the same. He takes my hand and gives it a slight squeeze, almost reassuring, and let's it fall back to my side.
I take my backpack out of the back seat, thank him again, and make my way to the door. Before I open it, I turn to see him leaning against his car, hands in his pockets, watching me. He notices and quickly waves. He runs around his car, slumps into the front seat and turns on the ignition. He looks at me again before I twist the knob and go inside.