Chapter 12

The gymnasium is on the basement floor of the school. It's not used very much, it's dusty and the floors creek.
I walk in after the final bell, and attempt to shut the door quietly behind me. I look around for any signs of life, quick to assume I'm alone. I walk passed the first set of bleachers and someone walks in at the other end of the gym. The door slams shut behind them and I hear, "Damn door," from a voice that is clearly Marcus's. I sit on the top of the bleachers and wait for him to see me, a tiny figure in a big room. I watch him search for me, and he decides to sit at the other end of the bleachers and wait.
I carefully step down on the old wooden benches, trying not to make them creek. I make my way next to him, a seat above.
"Nice spot, huh?"
He flinches, clearly startled. He tries to play it off, "Um, yeah. Yeah, this gym sucks."
He looks up at me, holding my gaze as he moves up next to me. He sits down about an inch or so away. He looks at his hands, clutched together in his lap.
"I saw you at the recital," he begins. He seems more nervous than me. "I'd never seen you before. And, God, that voice. I couldn't get your voice out of my head. It was like, maddening, hypnotic torture. That night, I could honestly barely sleep. All I could think about was how clear, how beautiful, it sounded and I just wanted to talk to you.
"Yeah, I know. A kid like me talking to a kid like you? You know, I don't see people by idiotic school social rankings," he pauses, loosening his hands. He looks up at me, his tone turns desperate. No, lonely. His eyes meet mine without hesitation, "You are your own rank. If I meet someone, and they are super cool- I don't care if you're a geek, or you are the hottest person ever, if your personality is a ten, but you act like a three. You're a three."
"Hm, I like that," I agree. As soon as he started talking, I became comfortable with him. Like I'd known him my whole life. He slides a bit towards me, leaving about a pinky's width of space.
"I heard your voice," he continues, "and I just really wanted to know you."
A chill runs down my spine, and I nod. I put my backpack on the bench in front of us, and place my hands on my thighs. I turn my head back to him, and his stare never faulters. The corners of his lips curl a bit, and his eyes look as if he just had the best dream.

"So, you wanna know me?"
"Hell yeah. But only on one condition."
"Which is?"
"You get to know me, too."
"Deal."