Chapter 9

3:26 A.M.
I sit up, gasping for air. My room feels dry and thick- the air almost as palpable as the desert's. My body quakes as my anxiety pulses through my viens. I attempt to stand, only to collapse onto the floor. I start to cry, unable to put the pieces together. I don't know why I'm having a panic attack or why I can't walk. I remember Nicole's room is next to mine, and I scream for her.
"What! What is it?!" She comes in, a robe over her shivering body. Her eyes widen, and her impulse is to stretch her hand out to me. My limb fumbles to grasp it, but I manage to catch it. My stomach feels tight, as if I might hurl.
"Get dad," I say, my voice rough with sleep and cold with fear. She nods, runs for the door, and stops. She turns, her face blank with only confusion deep in her eyes.
"You'll be okay, I promise." She quickly turns, and sprints down the stairs.
I roll into my back and try to breathe. I repeat the same phrase in my head: You'll be okay, just breathe. Mind over matter. You'll be okay...
My eyes begin to blur, my vision tunnels. I try to straighten myself but I can't. I hear the faint sound of my dad's voice, and I feel him shaking my arm. I try to tell him that I'm okay, but I'm not- I can't breathe and my body isn't responding to me and I...