Chapter 9 - Part 2

I looked up and saw an envelope with my name on it on my dresser.

How did I not see that until now?

I picked it up and opened it.

A letter from my mother was inside.

Dear Daughter,

I am writing this to you while I'm pregnant with you. Just know that you will be with your father. I love you unconditionally already, but I am making a choice that will be best for me. I hope you understand.

Love,
Rachel Dawes (your mother)

I ran downstairs, and found my Dad sitting at the kitchen table while Alfred was cleaning off some dishes.

I handed my dad the note, and asked, "What is this?"

He read it over, and looked at me.

"Alfred, read this," he said, handing the letter to Alfred, who had just dried off his hands.

He read it, and handed it back to my dad.

"She wanted the best for you, Amelia. Your mother loved Harvey. She wanted to be with him," my Dad said.

"What?"

"What your father is meaning to say is that she left you with your real father because she couldn't bear the regret of bringing you into this world and having you think Harvey was your father. She wanted you to know the truth. She wanted the best for you," Alfred explained.

"I understand that, but maybe that's why I had such a hard time killing Harvey," I replied.

"At least you didn't see her get murdered," my dad said.

"What do you mean?", I asked.

"When I was a little boy, I begged my parents to go to this play. And something had scared me, and I suggested that we leave. And we did. We exited the building, and came face to face with this strange man. My father and him had a few words, and then my father and mother were shot," my father explained, shedding a few tears.

"Dad, I'm sorry."

He got up to walk away, but I stopped him to hug him.

"I'm so sorry, Dad."

"It's okay, Amelia."

He's never talked about his parents before, and I was relieved that he finally told me. It wasn't planned, and I felt better that he could finally trust me with knowing about his parents.

I pulled away from the hug, and so did my dad.

"Do you want me to keep this?", I asked, referring to the letter in my hand.

"You can."

"Okay. Thanks for everything, Dad."

"You're welcome, Amelia."

And in that moment, I truly felt happy. Because we take so much for granted, we never really take the time to appreciate the little things.