Chapter 3

I left my stereo off so I could listen to Alfred and my dad's conversation. "She's in love, Mr. Wayne," Alfred said. "I know. My little sidekick is growing up. Just like how I fell for her mother," my dad replied. "She was a great woman. And I'm glad Amelia was born before she passed. Otherwise we wouldn't be here," Alfred replied. "Very true, Alfred. And I'm glad Amelia was born, too. Otherwise I wouldn't be happy," my dad replied. "I know, Mr. Wayne. I know," Alfred replied. There was a moment of silence before Alfred spoke again. "Why haven't you told Amelia yet?" he asked. "Alfred, I'm scared. I don't know how Amelia will react, and I wish there was an easy way to tell her," my dad replied. "Just be open with her about it. Talk to her. Take it slow, and tell her calmly. Don't be afraid, she'll be okay. I'm sure of that," Alfred replied. There was silence for a moment, and I could tell that my dad was really thinking it through. I thought twice about it before getting up. I was going to ask him myself. I left my room, and headed downstairs, ready to ask him about my mother. "Did you hear the conversation?" my dad asked. "Yes, Dad, I did," I replied. "Okay. Let's talk about this," he replied, leading Alfred and I back to the couch. "Your mother was a great woman. Unfortunately, she passed away. But, she passed after you were born. The thing is, the Joker captured your mother and Harvey Dent and tied them to chairs at separate addresses. They had phones that were connected, so they could say their last words to each other. There were explosives around them, and one of them would die in minutes. I had to save one of them. I saved Harvey. I saved him because I later learned that the Joker switched the addresses, and I only had minutes left, so I had no choice. I'm sorry you had to find out so late, but I didn't know how to tell you. I'm sorry," my dad explained. I sat in silence for a moment before replying. "What's her name?" I asked. "Rachel. Rachel Dawes," my dad replied. "Why is my last name Wayne, then?" I asked. "A short time after you were born, your mother and I broke up. I decided to make your last name Wayne when you were born because I knew she wanted to be with Harvey, so I wanted to call you my own. I hope you understand," he replied. "I do, Dad. Do you have a picture of her?" I asked. "Maybe on that table over there, by the door," he replied, getting up to go look. He came back with a picture frame in his hands, with a picture of a woman beneath the glass. "That's your mother," he spoke softly. I carefully took the frame from him and stared at the picture of my mother. "Dad, she's beautiful," I replied, looking at the picture in awe. "I know," he said with a tear sliding down his face. "She was a wonderful woman," Alfred chimed in. "It was a mistake saving Harvey," my dad said, thinking out loud. "Dad, you didn't know. He switched the addresses and you acted quickly. It wasn't a mistake," I replied. "Yea, I guess you're right, Amelia," he replied. "But just remember this, Amelia. No matter what, your mother will always be there for you and listen to you, even though she's not here. And no matter what, you still have your father and myself. Don't feel like you're ever alone or have no one to turn to. Because you always have and you always will," Alfred said, closing the conversation. "I very much agree, Alfred," my dad replied.

Later that night, I was laying in bed , thinking about what Dad and Alfred had told me. I'm happy that I know who my mother is. I'm a little saddened to know about what happened to her, but that's not anyone's fault. I can't blame my father for what happened to her. Well, to be honest, there is someone to blame for her death.

Joker.

And I'll get my revenge.