Chapter Fourteen Part 15

Lydia was home from a dramatic day at work, little babies dying. Just looking forward to soak in the big tub she had, she saw the yellow envelope, on the table, and left it to read later. Now she needed to relax, and of course, eat something. She had been hungry so often, she was used to snack on fruit or vegetables, nuts or whatever, she could lay her hand on. So it was much later, when she prepared to go to bed, she remembered.

The envelope. She took it, and sat down at the table to read. She opened it and found, what looked like photocopied newspaper clippings. Two of them, and a letter from Natasha. She wrote and told her, she had found the articles while working in her new job. During a search about outback newspapers, not doing so well, suddenly there they were. She had printed them out for her. She was so sorry, but she thought Lydia should know. She had called one of the papers, and they said they were going to photograph the wedding, they already had a good photo of the wedding dress. Which they had realised, was being refitted, at a local dress shop in town. She felt terrible sending it, but hoped Lydia would understand. She was just trying to help, and if there was anything she could do, just let her know. Lydia looked at the Print outs, one was about the celebrity wedding between Leon and Alicia. The other was about how two large properties put together, would create an empire. She felt like she was on a roller coaster. Every time she thought he loved her. Something always came up and proved it a sham.

She called Ross and told him, with a tearful voice, what she had just read. He came straight over, bringing her favourite pizza, and a non-alcoholic wine. She was dissolved in tears, when he arrived, he hugged her while she cried and cried. And when she was just sniffling, he set the table and heated the pizza. She could smell it, her favourite pizza, and was suddenly, absolutely starving. They talked while eating the pizza, she told him she was at the stage, where she could take no more. She wanted to get far away from everything.

He nodded, "I understand dear, I think I have the solution. I have a sister who lives in Singapore. She is married to an embassy 'Secretary', and lives in a big old castle, on embassy ground. She is always asking me, to come and stay for a while. They have lots of bedrooms and servants, so we will not inconvenience them. They are lovely people. You will like them. My sister is an artist, and knows lots of interesting people. What do you think? They speak English, and have great hospitals in Singapore."

Lydia looked at him. "How are we getting over there? She pointed to her baby bump, Travel I mean?"

He smiled, "I have a friend who captains his own passenger ship. He sails between Darwin and Singapore, twice a week. He has told me there are empty cabins on every trip, except holidays. I can have a cabin whenever I need it. We could have a cabin each, no problems. I have treated his old parents with home visits, many times, at no cost. We have known each other since childhood."

Lydia smiled, "You can take every stone away, can't you?"

He grinned, "My pleasure."

Suddenly there was a way out...away "Yes when are we going? You better call your sister in Singapore to make sure, don't you think? I will call work and tell them it is an emergency."

***

Two days later, she was standing at the railing of a large ship. Watching, as Australia slowly disappeared. She was feeling a great relief, and a soul deep sorrow, nobody knew where she was going. She would call Nicole, when she got over there.

It took them four days to arrive; they visited a couple of islands on the way. Lydia and Ross stayed on board. She did her best to relax, the ship had a hospital Ross was a doctor, so nothing bad could happen. They arrived early morning, and the harbour looked like a 'Chinese adventure Story.' Junkets were everywhere, with colourful sails, and little brown people in canoes, filled with fruit or vegetables, flitted in and out between all the other boats.