Chapter Nine Part 10

Lydia who never had flown in a helicopter was amazingly cool about it. She enjoyed everything about it, and Leon stopped worrying about flying with her. She seemed to cope well with everything, not a fragile flower from the big city. He settled in to flying, feeling almost happy. Broome became visible around midday. Lydia had been sleeping a little, in spite her valiant attempt to not miss anything. Waking up when the engine sound changed; she saw Broome, they were slowing down before approaching the landing zone. Soon they were safely on the ground, where everything looked very lush. Close to the landing area, there were picnic tables and benches for weary travellers. It looked very inviting. There was a small building with water and a telephone, connected to a taxi operator. And a little further away were toilets. Lydia looked around. "No people?"

Leon smiled. "No this is where small planes and choppers land. We can look after our own. People bring their own food, and they can call a taxi from that phone." He pointed. "There is a commercial airport not far from here". He put the basket on a table, "Let us just enjoy the food. I have a car delivered in forty five minutes."

Mimi had quite outdone herself. There was cold chicken, smoked salmon, smoked Virginian ham and creamy cheeses galore. A bottle of low alcohol Riesling and purple grapes. "Wow she really wants us to enjoy ourselves. Shall we dine?" Leon sent her a megawatt smile. And Lydia felt her legs give in, and almost missed the bench in sitting down. She hated how he could make her feel.

They had a lovely lunch, despite of the tension between them at times. They had finished eating when a four wheel drive arrived, followed by a small company car from Hertz, and soon they were on the road to Broome. Twenty minutes later he stopped at the front of a majestic hotel. The valet parking took over, and a porter took their luggage. When they walked in the front, they could see right through the big building, and out to the Indian Ocean. It was glorious. They knew him at reception, and welcomed him back. Lydia felt overwhelmed and found a chair. Leon rushed over. "Are you ok??"

Suddenly everybody rallied to her help. Someone brought a wheel chair and she was wheeled to their suite in no time. She was so surprised; she forgot to be upset by them, thinking she needed a wheelchair. "Whoa that was amazing."

She got up and Leon laughed. "They don't want anything to happen to you while you are here, I think."

He turned around. "Take the room you like best, I will take the other. A little nap will be good to booth of us." Lydia opened the door to a room with a king size bed covered in white muslin, pillows everywhere. Heaven. She just dived in and snuggled up, Leon quietly closed the door. A couple of hours later she woke up, and watched the waves roll on to the beach. She was just getting up, when Leon knocked on her door. "Come in," she called.

He opened the door and she looked like a goddess on that bed. He coughed, and said, "It is very balmy outside, should we take a walk on the beach before dinner?"

Lydia slid off the bed. "Yes that sounds lovely, just give me a minute, for a quick shower."

She came out wearing a dress in shimmering blues and sea greens. Light sandals on her feet and huge sunglasses. She took his breath away. Never had a woman made him feel that way before.........He lightly put his arm around her, as they walked out the patio doors. Cable Beach was beautiful. The sun was low, and a bridge from the setting sun to the beach was formed by the light. Lydia was captivated,

"So magic," she felt warm inside just looking at it. Leon shared her feelings and unconsciously took her hand in his. They wandered slowly listening to the waves lapping softly on the beach. The seagulls were saying their farewells to the sun, and all the little blue soldier crabs scampered into their holes for the night.

They had not been aware holding hands till they stopped walking. They looked at each other and smiled, but pulled their hands apart just the same. Leon's voice was hoarse. "Maybe we should turn around so we can find a restaurant before it gets dark?"