Chapter Six Part 7

Lydia celebrated a lovely Christmas with Ross, Monica and a couple of nurses they worked with, who had nowhere else to go. There were a million stars above, when they barbequed. The air was balmy, smelling of eucalyptus, mimosa flowers and their spicy meat and onions. Everybody had a great time, only Lydia was going easy on the punch, the babies were quiet, and Lydia felt incredibly peaceful. The cicadas were singing, and in between dinner and dessert, they all took a swim in the pool.

After dinner they served the punch on the edge of the pool. And Lydia was just enjoying the water; it made her feel light as a feather, when a woman came to the pool side and said. "So sorry to interrupt, but there is a phone call for you Lydia, at the nurse's quarters. As Lydia came out of the pool Monica said, "That was a lovely evening, but it is getting late, why don't we all have brunch at my place tomorrow?"

They all hugged and promised to bring something yummy. Lydia found her handbag, wished everybody a Merry Christmas, and hurried with the nurse, back towards the nurses' quarters, having an uneasy feeling about it.

She was shaken when she came home, Nicole had called. That night she thought about her sister and Leon, they would arrive in a couple of days. He had found her, not that she was hidden, but she had thought she would have more time to think. She could feel the babies move.......but she had signed a contract to give it.....them? ...Away, and taken the money...... What a mess! She fell into a restless sleep.

Lydia woke up at first light; she would have to tell them there were two. Could she give him one and keep the other? She shuddered; no way could she separate twins. Maybe she could keep in touch? She wavered between being sure she could keep them and knowing she would lose both.

The day went slowly and was fraught with misgivings and dread. She went early to bed and tossed and turned most of the night. She woke up very early and decided the best she could do was get up, have some breakfast and go straight in the pool. She loved the pool, with most of her body under water, she felt human again. She slowly sank into the water and closed her eyes. Bliss.

Her peace was suddenly broken by a happy voice, "There you are." And her little sister broke through the bushes surrounding the pool.

"Wonderful to see you," Lydia said, unconsciously sinking deeper in the pool, as if that changed anything. She pulled herself out of the pool, only to have Nicole stare at her.

"You are staring."

Nicole stammered, "Well I knew you were pregnant, but not with an elephant." She continued quickly, "I mean you look bigger than I expected."

Lydia slung an enormous towel around herself, and sat down on one of the many chairs near the pool. Nicole sat down too, and Lydia took Nicole's hand.

"I am glad to see you. I have missed you so very much."

Nicole felt a little calmer, "So have I, missed you."

"It is twins." Lydia smiled.

"Twins? Goodness, I am so glad to be here with you. Together we can make a plan; you cannot give them to him." Nicole looked very serious and tense.

Lydia took both her hands and looked at her closely, "Where is he?" She looked towards the parking lot.

"I just kind of snuck out for a few minutes", Nicole said, "It is still early I don't think he is up yet."

Lydia leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes, "Now tell me what happened."

Nicole had butter flies in her stomach, but bravely started at the beginning. Half an hour later, Lydia was pale as a ghost and Nicole faltered in her long story. Lydia was hugging herself, "It is okay, he needed to know."