Chapter Twelve Part 13

Lydia was feeling OK now her blood pressure was down again. She checked the neonatal unit, and the next day she started work. Four hours, 3 days a week.. She was feeling really good about working in that environment. She had found a nurse, who lived just across from her hotel. So she paid a little for petrol, and was picked up on the days she worked. How lucky can you be? Lydia was feeling good, and one day when having lunch in the canteen, she saw Ross getting food at the counter. He looked up, saw her and grinned, coming over to her table. "What are you doing here?"

Lydia swallowed and said. "Long story. Sit down and I will tell you most of it." He sat down and told her, how happy he was to meet her again. She gave him a big smile, happy to meet an old friend. She then told him why she had left Leon.

He realised she was very unhappy, but tried to hide it, she actually loved that guy. He took note of that; she might not be for him. But help her he would, and you never know with the future. He sighed deeply, and quickly pulled himself together. Now was not the time to think about it. He said, "Sorry just got a little lost."

They smiled at each other, and continued eating. Casually he mentioned he was a temporary locum in casualty. Lydia looked at him, he had a right to his own life. Agreeing to meet for dinner later that night, they both hurried back to work, after a longish lunch break. Ross really had secured work in casualty, for five days.

Later after work, Lydia called her old friend, Natasha Graham, who was staying in her flat in Melbourne, while sorting herself out. The guy she had been dating for six months was married with kids. She was never dating again, Lydia told her what had happened. Tasha already knew the story from the beginning. She told Lydia, the whole happening was weird somehow. A journalist by trade, she heard lots of stories. She told Lydia, if she really loved her babies' father, she should at least hear, what he had to say.

"You know. Not guilty till proven?"

Feeling bad about everything, by now, Lydia said maybe she was right. Maybe not. Originally Lydia had called, to tell her she could stay much longer in the flat. So she finished the call telling her that.

She showered, and put on a lovely flowing dress and flat shoes. No more high heels for her, her balance was a little bit off. Ross picked her up and they had a lovely meal on the harbour.

***

Leon was in Darwin, unpacking in a hotel suite. His detective was already hard at work, he hoped. He was going to have a hearty meal and go early to bed. He felt like he had been through a wringer. He would tell her everything about Alicia, and take her home with him.

The next afternoon his detective called. He had tracked her to landing on a private hospitals Helipad. Then walked out the front door of the hospital. He was now checking with the taxies, normally parked outside the hospital. He would call again tomorrow. He called at lunch time, the next day, saying she was staying in Hotel la Mere. He added, "She was not home, the porter had told him she worked at the big hospital. She was picked up in the morning, but not every morning". Leon thanked him and told him to mail the bill. He took an extra bite of his lunch. Put the phone back in his satchel, and headed for the door.

He had GPS in the car and quickly found the hotel, he parked and walked in the front door. Looking around, he saw Lydia in the little lunch area drinking juice, and of course eating something. She was looking the other way, so he could watch her, without being noticed. He sat down on a leather settee behind some palms. She looked healthy and content. He felt hurt and anger build up. Taking a deep breath, he stood up and walked her way. She looked up.

The look that went over her face was impossible to interpret. She blinked and gave him a weak smile. "Hello Leon."

She didn't get up, so he sat down.