Chapter One Part 2

"Christ!" Leon was pulling a hand through his hair, making it stand up. "Why me, why now? When everything was going so well?"

Looking out the window of the admission centre, he could see the whole world go on like any other normal day. The sun was shining and the palms were swaying, Darwin's colourful people were hurrying on with their lives......just not him. He was about to be admitted for critical surgery. A part of his left kidney had to be removed, due to a cancerous growth. Just a week ago he had thought he had everything going for him and now he was not even sure he had a future.

"Mr. McWilliams?" The secretary was smiling at him, his dark good looks never failed to make an impression on women.

"Yes" Leon pulled himself together, and approached the counter. He filled in all his papers and was whisked into Pre Ops.

Two hours later the screeching sound of a bed being manoeuvred out of the lift had Lydia close the chart she was writing in, and stand up. Her patient was arriving from recovery. She walked to the lift to meet them, and show them the way to bay 6. Looking at the patient her breath hitched, he looked like a fallen angel, midnight black hair soft chiselled features and well-formed lips. Finding her voice again she asked, "How did it go"?

Mary the recovery nurse smiled. "Pretty well actually, the tumour was encapsulated. So hopefully a clean sweep. Lucky guy."

They connected the still sleeping Leon to the wall supply of oxygen and the heart monitor.

Mary smiled. "A real looker isn't he?"

Lydia laughed. "Yes you can say that." She took a deep breath and said, "Any more coming this way?"

Mary shook her head, "Not at the moment, but I heard a call going out for emergency doctors, so maybe later."

The first thing Leon saw when he opened his eyes, in the shimmer of the sunshine coming in through the blinds, was a beautiful woman bent over him. His first thought was 'am I in heaven?' Then she spoke.

"You are awake good. You are in Intensive Care. It is just for a few days after the op. You are doing fine, if you have any pain just press your busser and I will give you a small injection."

His eyes closed again, but a weak smile told her he had heard her.

Lydia collected his papers and sat down at the observation desk to finish his transfer. She had left Melbourne to work a contract in Darwin, so she could see more of Australia. Slender and golden haired, she was well liked for her warm personality and caring ways. Right now she was dreading the prospect of Leon asking about babies or no babies after the chemo. She was sure it would come up.

Late afternoon the surgeon arrived to talk to Leon. More awake, Leon asked "How did it go with the op?"

The surgeon smiled. "You are a lucky guy, the tumour was easy to remove, but I will still recommend chemotherapy to be absolutely sure any free floating cells are killed. No big deal, you will only need a six weeks course."

Leon blinked. "Chemo? What about children?"

Lydia frowned, six weeks almost killed some people.

"Hmm," the surgeon looked uncomfortable. "Well yes children, you can have sperm frozen before chemo. That could solve that problem."

Leon nodded slowly. "Okay if you think it necessary, let's do it."

"OK, tomorrow we will collect sperm and then you can start chemo. See you tomorrow."

Leon blinked and the doctor was gone. He looked at Lydia. "Chemo how bad is that?"

Lydia was still frowning when she answered. "Chemo is uncomfortable but bearable to have, but you feel very sick after each treatment. About a baby, it is different, but with sperm collected you will have choices in the future."