Chapter Thirteen Part 14

Start from the beginning

He immediately thought about his brother, still in Asia. He had finally managed to make contact with him, when their parents died, but not till days after the funeral. So they had decided he might as well finish his project, before coming home. When was his project finished? Must be soon, maybe he could call him?

***

Alicia had set herself up in a spare bedroom. Computer and printer. Her office.

She used the computer officially for her study, which she had no intensions to actually do. But she could research where to send her articles, about the wedding, she had written two articles. One about the society wedding of two large landowner's children, the other about the merging of two great stations into an empire.

Both would attract great interest. Hopefully Leon would come to his senses, and not deny something like that. It would, could start an avalanche, he could not stop. She sent both articles, to two papers. The Kimberley Bulletin and The Outback Advocate. The wedding date and place would be sent to invited guests only, but she promised the papers, they would be notified, so they could send reporters. That done, she went to Kununurra, the closest town, and bought a beautiful wedding gown. Arranged to have it altered for her, and talked to every person, who would listen, about the society wedding of the year, or the decade. The more she talked about it, the more real it was for her.

***

Leon got hold of his brother, and told him the whole story. He was amazed, but also impressed with their mum's initiative. "Wow, she did that, and now you are having twins? That has to be the Fairy Story of the century."

He laughed, "So when am I becoming an uncle??" Leon continued with the story, and ended with his dilemma. Was he going to believe the pictures or his knowledge of Lydia?? Jason was in no doubt at all; he felt it much easier to judge as an outsider.

"Of course, you should give her the benefit of the doubt, call her or better go back with flowers........I would do that. Then show her the photos, talk about it. You say she has always said he was a good friend? In Alice Springs, when she was all alone, he was a friend. I know you said he was in Alice, and now Darwin, but maybe there is another explanation, or maybe this friend has a crush, and she is unaware of it?"

Leon thought about it. "You are right; I will go to Darwin tomorrow."

Jason thought that was a very good idea, and went on to talk about, when he should come home to be part of the wedding, and the birth of his little nieces or nephews. Leon asked how his project was going. "Another four to six weeks, and I will definitely be done here, if not before. They will have a brand new bridge that will last them for centuries," he laughed.

"Ok that will probably be fine; we can always fine-tune it later." Leon said, feeling almost light hearted. "It was great to talk to you brother, when are you going to come home to work and stay?? It would be great to have you not too far away. Think about it, now you will have a big family."

Jason snickered, "Actually I am in the process of securing, a great contract in Darwin, right now, so uncle will be close by, brother."

The next day he was in the air again, landing in Darwin at dusk, arriving at her hotel twenty minutes later. He had been driving sedately to give himself time to think, stopping for flowers on his way there. Lydia was home feeling low, when there was a knock on the door. She got up slowly, thinking it was Ross or her dinner. She opened the door, and just stood there. Outside were a mass of red and pink roses, and behind them, was Leon looking devastatingly attractive.

"Leon?" she squeaked, and quickly held on to the door. Feeling it like her legs would give under her.

"You came back?"

He smiled, "Yes, will you let me in?" She let him in, and closed the door. Suddenly she was in his arms, and they had roses all around them. His kiss took her breath away. He moaned, "My god, I missed you, darling Lydia."

"What happened?" she mumbled, while he moved her over to the sofa.

"Very Long story, I am afraid. I will just start the coffee machine, and then I will confess everything."

Lydia leaned back in the sofa. She felt it, as if all her stuffing had been taken out of her. He sat down and took her in his arms. "It was me over reacting, I think." He pulled the envelope from his pocket, and Spread the photos on the table in front of her. She stared at them without blinking. "Where did you get them from? We are just friends, having dinner and talking."

She looked at him. "You had me followed?"

He could feel the heat on his cheekbones, "That was before you know, before we made love and I proposed, I had paid him off, and he came back with these. Taken before I arrived in town, I just lost it I think."

She had pulled a little away from him. Now she looked him in the eyes. "So do you believe me or not??"

He took her hand, turned it, and pressed his lips to her palm. "I believe you, will always believe you, from now on, my darling. I have been through a bad engagement that ended with her being unfaithful, and judged you from that. That was so wrong, I am sorrier than I can say. ......Will you forgive me?"

Having gone from happiness to consternation and now realising there was a reason for his reaction. She was happy to just lean forward, and kiss him thoroughly on the mouth. He grabbed her and deepened the kiss, and they lost themselves in each other. Surfacing gasping, she said, "You know where the bedroom is?" And they walked each other in to the bed, Leon stayed a couple of days, Lydia had two week notice, after she resigned at work.

He had brought an engagement ring, a large African Ruby, which he solemnly placed on her finger, and then they went out to celebrate. They had Lobster Mornay, and fruit with ice cream, and talked about their babies and life together till long after midnight. Lydia promised to call him every night, just to talk about their day.

After Leon had gone home, she phoned Ross. He was pleased to hear they were back together again. He had sort of, resigned himself to being the 'old friend.' He wanted Lydia to be happy.