Chapter Twelve Part 13

Start from the beginning

"Hello." He looked her in her eyes. "I have missed you; please give us time, to hear each other out. She looked miserable but nodded. He said, "I gather Alicia visited you and said something? Making you decide to move out?" She nodded again. Exasperated he said. "What on earth did she say?"

Lydia lifted her chin, "You don't know?"

He tried to calm himself. "No, I have no idea, only that it must have been really bad." He looked so very unhappy. She instantly started thinking maybe, just maybe, things were not so bad. She would tell him what had happened.

"Yes, Alicia burst in the door, kind of invited herself to morning tea. Ate most of the cake, and then showed me, the engagement ring you gave her, a grossly oversized diamond. She also told me, your wedding was being announced in church, and she thanked me for being a broodmare for her, as she did not want to ruin her figure."

She felt drained when she finished,........ Leon looked deathly pale, his jaw was clenched, and his hands gripping the table so hard, his knuckles were white. Silently they looked at each other.

Then they both reached across the table, hands touching and holding. Lydia found her voice first. She whispered, "Leon. Tell me the truth".

He cleared his voice, and told her what Alicia's father had said. She leaned forward and listened intent, and then said, "Let us take a walk along the harbour......some fresh air?"

They came back an hour later, holding hands, they took the lift up to Lydia's room.

Calling for room service... At eight o'clock that night. Waking up, was slow. They had slept little, but it had been a wonderful night. Now they both wondered. Can this hold? Where do we go from here? Lydia was as sure as she could be, Leon had told the truth, the woman was a nutcase. But Lydia was so happy for her job, and being alone to think. That she wanted to stay here and work part time for a little while. She was so happy and sure of his feelings, but felt it was her last chance to work, for a very long time. How to tell him? Leon kissed her good morning and got up to shower.

She snuggled a little longer, and didn't get up till he came out again. With a shock, she realised she wanted him again...... Pulling herself together, she rolled out of bed.

"I will only be five minutes." She was starving again.

"Can I shave while you shower?"

She raced out to the toilet, "In five minutes you can." Seeing her in the shower was incredible, she was so beautiful. He did his best to look like he was not looking.......but she knew. They had breakfast delivered, to the balcony overlooking the harbor. Lydia was looking at her watch, and he noticed. She was being picked up in forty minutes. She said, "Leon please, I want to stay and work for four to six weeks."

He stopped chewing. Looked at her, did he really know her?......"Are you sure, that is good for the babies?"

She smiled, "The least little problem and I will stop, I feel great, and more than half the time at work, I will be sitting down with a baby in my arms. It is nothing like my last job in Alice, trust me."

He took her hand, "I do. Just call me, every night, so I know you are well. But you need to come home and marry me, before they arrive."

Lydia stilled, her eyes widening. "You have not proposed to me."

Leon frowned. "We have to marry.......I love you, you love me... Lydia Blake will you marry Me.? Soon?"

Lydia blinked, "Yes I will, yes yes yes my darling." She hugged him close and they kissed and kissed. She pulled away, too much of that kissing and she would never let him go.

She turned away her eyes misty, "Got to go go.....work". And before he knew it. She was out the door.

He got up. "I will stay another night, we can have dinner out?"

She stopped, "Lovely, I will be back at four," and she was gone.

He was having another coffee, when his mobile rang. It was his detective. "You hung up on me too quick; I forgot to tell you, I have photos for you."

Leon was stumped. "What photos?"

"Well, I will rather just give them to you, they might not be important." When asked where he was, it was only a couple of blocks from Leon.

"Okay, I will meet you in half an hour." Leon hung up. Photos? He grabbed his satchel, and walked out the door. Somehow he felt spooked by what he had heard. His stomach was suddenly in knots. He met his detective early, but he was there. He just gave him a large yellow envelope, saluted, and walked away. Leon felt his heart sink.

Another yellow envelope? He stuck it in his pocket, and headed for the nearest pup. Inside Murphies pup, in a corner, with a shot of whisky, on the rocks. He opened the envelope, and poured the photos out on the table. There they were. His Lydia, having dinner with the smarmy doctor from Alice, them kissing and hugging, outside an Italian restaurant. Them walking together, somewhere in Darwin at dusk. He gathered the photos. Stuck then in his satchel, and walked over to the bar.

"Please call me a taxi, I am going to the airport for private air traffic." He walked outside to wait....He had been naïve, that guy was always where she was, last time he saw him, was in Alice Springs..! His plane left Darwin, when Lydia was having morning tea.