Chapter Nine Part 10

Start from the beginning

They started walking back again, but they didn't have to worry. The whole beach was suddenly illuminated by little cafés and restaurants. Trees and bushes were blinking with little fairy lights, and it all took on a fairy-tale look. They picked a table close to the beach, where the restaurant had live music. If Leon had wanted a romantic getaway, he couldn't have picked a better place. Lydia was enchanted, and felt mellow and relaxed. They had the seafood special and tonic water. The music was romantic, and all around them. They looked at each other through the candle light, and they both thought, 'What is happening?'

He put his hand over hers, and said, "Dear Lydia, will you consider staying on nursing the babies for six to twelve months? I will look well after you I promise."

Lydia came back to reality and frowned. "Maybe I can think it over?" Was he still thinking of keeping the babies, but not her? Or was this a beginning to a future?

Leon worried, had he said that wrong? She looked unhappy?

She was thinking about her escape in the caravan. Suddenly her heart was not in it any more. Maybe she should give their father a chance? Could she??

Leon thought her answer gave him some hope, he had felt it like they were a couple on holidays with their unborn babies.

"Okay we will come back to it later, but think about it." Lydia relaxed and they had coffee to finish it up. They lingered, enjoying the peace. The soft music, the cicadas chirping, and underneath it all, the soft waves lapping on the beach.

That night Lydia slept like a baby. She woke up to the sound of children playing on the beach. They had both left their patio doors open, with only the security fly screens locked, so they could hear the waves. Now all the sounds from the beach made them feel they had slept on the beach. Very charming, Lydia felt more optimistic about her immediate future, than she had in a long time. They took their breakfast on the patio. Watching the children digging moats' around their castles, while their parents were sleeping last night's dancing off, on towels near them.

Lydia cleared her voice. "You do know I want the children just as much as you do, don't you?" She paused. "I know there is the $50,000, but I will pay it back as soon as I can." He stayed silent and she kept going. 'Now or never', she thought. "I know it is not fair, but nothing in life is fair. I desperately needed the money for my sister's new artificial leg." She was stumbling over the words.

Leon was shell shocked, "Nicole has an artificial leg?" Why had they never told him? Maybe they thought he knew?? He leaned forward, "I did not know, I am starting to think of you staying much longer."

Lydia looked at him, he had an odd look in his eyes. "What are you saying?" She did not know what to think, was he coming on to her......talking about a future together?

Leon back pedalled. "I don't know what I am talking about. Maybe I am just dreaming?" He got up. "Why don't we look at the little shops?"

Lydia felt bamboozled, but agreed. Maybe they needed a thinking pause?

They wandered off along the beach, both wondering what had happened. She bought a couple of sarongs, he bought a couple of colourful shirts. Lydia found a glorious swimsuit for maternity, and was just looking at it, when he came up behind her.

"Yes, please let me buy it for you, we can go swimming. It will do you good." He pointed to the water, which was now full of people.

Lydia smiled, "I love swimming, but with two babies? I don't know. I love the pool, but the ocean?"

He paid the vendor and handed her the swimsuit, which looked like it fitted her.

"Why don't you try? I will be with you all the way."