Chapter Seven Part 8

Start from the beginning

She was at the clinic having her usual check-up, when she realised the doctor was starting to look grim. She suddenly started to fear the worst.

"Are my babies okay? They are still moving, only not as much as they used to." She stopped talking and sat down. Her fear grew, when the doctor hesitated.

He stopped writing and faced her. "Your blood sugar is rising and your blood pressure is alarming." He frowned. "It is 160 over 100."

She froze. "Pre Eclampsia?" She watched his face.

He nodded. "Not yet, but if you keep working it is a very real possibility."

Lydia sank further into her chair. Everything was coming apart; Eclampsia could kill both mother and baby, babies, she trembled.

"Okay doc, I will stop working, and start looking more after myself." She stood up and immediately sat down again.

"Now don't you faint on me," The doctor looked worried. "Are you okay to get home? I can get an ambulance to take you home."

She took a deep breath.

"I am okay Doc, just give me a minute." She drank the water he offered, and felt a little better. She left the doctor's room and went directly home, lay down on her bed and closed her eyes.

"Stop working." It was so sudden she had to hear it out loud. She was shaken; she would have stopped work earlier if she had known, Pre-Eclampsia was a risk for both her and her babies. Last check had been normal and that was just two weeks ago. Everything was moving faster now she realised. She couldn't stay in staff accommodation, when she was no longer staff. She would probably get a week's grace, and that was it.

She sighed maybe it was her guardian angel looking after her?

Now she had to leave, she was happy Leon was far away. Now was escape time she thought, and just thinking about it, she felt faint. How was she going to make it, when she also had her precarious health to think about? She closed her eyes, she would sleep on it.

***

Leon was having lunch when his detective called. He sounded puffed.

"She has been told to stop work, or she will be very sick, she will have to move out of staff accommodation, within one or two weeks," he paused.

Leon thanked him for the information, and told him to stick like glue to Lydia. He was in the air within hours, heading for Alice and his family.

When Lydia woke up she called her work, and then her sister. Nicole was horrified. She really needed to be with her sister now. "I will fly up as soon as I can get a ticket," she said soothingly, her sister sounded tearful on the other end.

"What about Leon?"

Lydia sighed, "He doesn't know, we really have to move quickly now. I have to be out of staff accommodation very soon."

Nicole felt protective about her sister, she was the most important person in her life at this moment. She said,

"I will hang up and call the airline, see you soon. Just look after yourself dear." She hung up, and Lydia slumped back in her chair. Thank God for sisters, she thought, feeling more hopeful.

***

Leon landed his plane, and hurried over to his rental car. He was not sure what he was most worried about, Lydia's health or her disappearing. That was what his detective had warned him about. He drove hurriedly to the staff quarters. Her car was there, looking a little worse for wear, but repaired. He took a deep breath, and calmed himself down. Now was not the time to be storming in. He knocked on the door, hearing nothing from inside, he knocked a little harder, and heard movement. The door opened, and a very tired Lydia looked at him in amazement.