"Well, well, well. Looks like I caught you sneaking out," he says quietly.

"You better keep your trap shut," I warn. He smirks.

"I will, but you owe me now," he says.

"Fine. Just don't tell anyone, alright?" He nods and tries to sleep again.

Johnny comes back with dry clothes and damp hair. "Think he'll say anything?" I ask him.

He glances at Two-Bit's sleeping figure. "He keeps his word good. He won't say nothing."

"Alright. Goodnight, Johnny," I tell him. He nods.

"Dream about your day," he says, referring to what I had told him earlier. I smile and close the door behind me.

I crawl under the white sheets and close my eyes. I begin to realize that Johnny and I are alike in many ways. We understand each other's feelings. And we know how hard life can get. But I don't have it as bad as he does. I wish it were different.

There's something about him that I feel like I know. He's not tough like Dallas or so outgoing like Soda and Two-Bit. He's just the quiet one with an imagination and a dream. He's just Johnny Cade...

•••

"You're making progress," my teacher says.

"How much?" I ask, kicking my feet up in another desk in her classroom.

"Plenty. As of tonight, you've learned empathy from Johnny, cleverness from Two-Bit, and support of family from all of the boys. What do you have to say?"

"They're people just like anyone else. Perspective is a role to take when being around people. They aren't like the others," I explain.

"Good. I still expect that report done."

"Seriously?"

"Yes! And it seems you've inherited stubbornness and rebellion from someone," she says. I laugh. Probably Dally...

"How's everything at home?" I ask.

"Nobody knows anything. Time is frozen until you learn your lesson."

"What? How?"

"Until you sort out your entire life, nobody but you and I know you're here from the future," she explains. I sigh.

"So you mean... no one knows?" She nods in confirmation. "Man..."

"I understand. But look, it's time for you to go back now. I'll see you soon, Ms. Thompson. Wake up," she says. Her voice begins to sound like someone else's. it sounds familiar, but I don't know who it is!

Her image begins to fade as I call out for her to stay. She leaves too suddenly that I can't ask further questions.

"No!" I repeat. "Don't go!"

The image is black as I call out again. The sound echoes.

"Where are you...?"

•••

"JT? Wake up. I'm right here," a voice says. I open my eyes to quickly close them again. The bright sunlight burns my eyes. I look around the find the source of the voice. It's only Ponyboy.

"Where's she at?" I ask.

"Who?"

"Where is she?!" I ask forcefully again. Ponyboy places a hand on my forehead.

"You're burning up. I ain't no doctor but I think you're sick," he says.

"No I'm not. C'mon Pony. Let me up."

"No way. Hold on a second," he says. He walks out of the room. I turn my head and see him talking to Soda. I can't hear what they're saying. I swallow but only cough since my mouth is dry. I find it a struggle to breathe through my nose. My ears and cheeks feel hot. I guess I am sick.

Soda comes in the room with a cold washcloth. He places it on my forehead. The cold water cools me down tremendously, giving me chills.

"Looks like you've come down with something. You ain't even been here that long to catch something," he says, sitting on the edge of my bed. I furrow my eyebrows at him in concentration. I study his features for a moment before realizing I'm absolutely delirious.

I sit up too quickly. My vision goes black and slowly focuses again. My head feels like a hammer's hitting it. I'm pretty much lightheaded now.

"Just rest, JT. Ponyboy'll be here to take care of you, alright?" he says calmingly. I sink back down onto my pillow and nod. He stands up.

"Thanks," I say weakly.

"Anytime."

After Soda, Steve, and Darry leave for work, Two-Bit walks in. He seems to never leave here. But that's okay. I like his company.

"Looks like the rain got you sick, huh?" he asks. I smile.

"Don't you even start with me," I tell him.

"You don't look too hot."

"Trust me. I don't feel it either."

"Maybe you'll get over it later. I know I do," he says optimistically. "If you need something from me, get someone to holler for me, you hear?"

"Thanks, Two-Bit." He smiles, nods, and leaves my room. After a while, Ponyboy joins my lonesomeness.

"Feeling any better?" he asks.

"I don't know. Haven't figured it out yet."

"Can I do anything to help?"

"I'll let you know if I think of something."

"Alright," he says. He gets up out of the chair and starts to leave.

"Oh, Ponyboy?" He turns around.

"Would you care to read?"

"Which book?" he asks, nodding toward a stack on the shelf.

"Surprise me," I tell him. He picks Charlotte's Web. He shows the faded cover to me.

"Is this alright?"

"Yeah." He sits in the wooden chair and begins to read. I sit up in the bed and listen to every word. His tone captures my attention. After an hour or so, he puts the book down because I talk too much while he reads. My fever has made me borderline-crazy. So we decide to just talk.

Ponyboy feels like family to me now. I guess that's what he's supposed to be while I'm here. They all feel like my brothers I've never had. I guess they've accepted me already.

So far, I feel like I've learned more than what I supposedly have. I guess written summaries, statistics, or any of that stuff matters. I know who I am and who they are. I know how I feel and why I do. In the end, I know my trust in these boys will mean everything.

But will I go back home or stay here...?