Chapter 31: Go to sleep

Start from the beginning

She sighed. She was probably making things up here. Toby was her friend.

Right?

She looked away. "Sorry,"

He shrugged, and they started through the forest again. They didn't speak again until they were very close to home, when a hellhound snarled from right behind them.

Clockwork bit back a scream and whipped around, catching a glimpse of blood red eyes and a bulky form. The creature vanished when Toby shone his flashlight in its direction.

"Toby -"

"I heard it." He scanned the edges of the path with the white beam, and Clockwork could have sworn she saw a few glinting claws or splashes of red gazes.

Toby tightened his grip around Selena's handle and began walking again. Clockwork hurried to keep up with him, sticking very close to his side. She was frustrated that she had to rely on him so much, but she had a problem with being unable to see her attacker. She'd much rather face off a hellhound than get ambushed by several.

She walked so close to him that her and Toby's arms kept brushing together, a brief tingle of warmth going through her each time they touched. It was strangely comforting, and she found herself purposely brushing against him just for the reassurance that she wasn't alone.

Another growl from her right made her jump, and she looked straight into a pair of bright eyes glaring at her from the trees, too close for her liking.

She moved away from the hellhound, consequently moving into Toby, who stumbled a little but didn't complain. "Toby..." She whispered. He flicked his flashlight in the hellhound's direction and it ducked into the shadow of the tree, its snarl growing louder.

"Don't run," Toby said softly, nudging her onward. "If you run he'll pounce."

"Are we almost there?"

"Yeah." He quickened his pace ever so slightly.

The hellhound stalked them the entire rest of the way back, snarling ever so often like it was reminding them it was there. She caught glimpses of its glowing eyes every now and then, but it never left the shelter of the forest.

It was the only hellhound they met on their way, but Clockwork didn't dare look back to check if there were others.

Finally, the dark shape of the mansion rose out of the shadows, the lights inside glowing warmly. The hellhound vanished into the forest as Toby and Clockwork entered the clearing, and Clockwork allowed herself to relax.

Home.

Suddenly Toby stopped. Clockwork turned back to look at him. "What is it?"

"Slenderman is probably back." He said quietly. Clockwork looked back at the house and bit her lip.

"He won't be that mad at us..." She reassured. Toby didn't respond. "Right?"

He sighed, walking up next to her and turning off his flashlight. "He'll probably spare you." He sounded a little bitter. "You're not his proxy, you can do what you want."

Clockwork gazed at the warm lighting of the house that suddenly looked like a pair of glowing eyes glaring down at her. She sighed.