Chapter 31: Go to sleep

Start from the beginning

"Laughing Jack said something about your loyalties." She said. "What was he talking about?"

He didn't answer immediately, and it wasn't until they had made it to the park - the connection between Slenderman's forest and the city - that he finally responded.

"Does it appear to you that I am one hundred percent loyal to Slenderman?" Toby asked quietly. He stared into the shadowy depths of the forest rather than looking at her.

Clockwork didn't know how to answer. She followed his gaze and stared into the shadows as well, catching a few swift movements of creatures within.

"No." She heard herself say. He didn't reply.

After a few minutes of staring at the trees, Toby heaved a sigh and slipped Selena out from underneath his coat, balancing her evenly in his hand.

Then he reached into his pocket with his other hand and dug out a small, black flashlight, pressing a button on the end and turning on a bright white beam. "Well," He said in a forced light tone, starting into the forest. "The sooner we get home the better."

Clockwork followed him into the woods, his flashlight lighting the way. It thickened the shadows of the trees and made his ax blade glitter viscously. Clockwork followed the little circle of light with her eyes as Toby flitted it around the tree leaves, illuminating the yellows and oranges that were starting to chase the green off the edges.

"What if we get lost?" She asked him nervously, glancing behind them. The park was already out of sight; and the trees all looked the same in the dark.

"We won't." He said calmly.

At that exact moment the howl of a hellhound cut through the forest like a blade of ice, making Clockwork shudder. Toby didn't react, except for a quick glance behind them.

"What about the hellhounds?" Clockwork felt herself move a little closer to him; towards the light of the flashlight and the warmth of another human.

"They don't like bright lights, so this'll probably keep them at bay for a while." He waved the flashlight around, making Clockwork feel dizzy. "Just," He glanced behind them again. "Watch your back, and..." He looked at her briefly then back forward again. "Stay close to me."

Clockwork looked behind them as well and accidentally stepped to the side and ran right into him. She yelped and stumbled, almost making them both fall over.

He chuckled, helping her regain her balance. "Not quite that close." He said teasingly.

She laughed nervously, her face flushing a little. "Ha, sorry..."

He smiled at her in a way that seemed different, in a way, and turned back towards the forest with a soft look to his eyes.

Clockwork looked ahead too, and after only a few minutes, the tree line broke, and Toby shone his flashlight onto a familiar dirt path. He walked out into the middle of it, and glanced down either direction.

"Which way is it?" Clockwork asked nervously, feeling hopelessly lost. Toby remained calm.

"Left."

"Are you sure?"

"Clocky," He stopped and faced her. "You act like this is the first time I've come home in the dark." He smiled reassuringly. "We'll be fine; you don't have to be so nervous."

Clockwork studied his face, not sure what she was looking for. Some part of her felt a little reluctant to trust him now, after what Jack had said and the questions Toby had avoided.