Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"It's our anniversary. I want to at least put in more of an effort for you today, especially since we don't have the baby." I whine.

"You could've not worn makeup a year ago and that would've been fine too. If you think you need it, I won't stop you but I think you are perfect with or without it." He says.

I groan, "Fine."

"So, it's up to you but I still don't think you'll want it."

I sigh and turn around to face him, his hands wrapped around my waist still.

"I don't care if you wear makeup. Or if your hair is fixed or what clothes you wear, Katniss. On any day, even our anniversary. You should know that by now because you are beautiful and nothing will ever change that." Peeta says, looking me right in the eyes, speaking softly and slowly.

I stare up at him, "You know that no matter how angry you make me sometimes, I still love you, Peeta. Everyday that I get to spend with you makes my heart so happy."

"I feel the same way." He laughs a little.

I laugh as a tear streams down my cheek as some of the emotions of the significance of this day overtake my mind.

"You never cease to amaze me with your actions or words, even if I don't always show you. It brings me so much joy watching you with our baby and she will probably never understand how lucky she is to have you as a dad." I tell him truthfully.

He stares lovingly at me and his eyes crystal over.

"Thank you and she won't ever understand how lucky she is to have you as her mother. You are the best wife and mother, Katniss and I don't give you enough credit because you are truly incredible. Everyday, I am overwhelmed with pride and joy knowing that I was lucky enough to find you and build a life with you." He says, letting tears fall down his cheeks.

I wipe his tears away with my thumbs and then kiss his cheek, we both laugh softly.

"Why is it that no matter what, one of us always ends up crying?" I laugh a little, my voice cracking at the end.

"It's because we are stuck with each other for the rest of our lives and some days, that's scary." He teases me.

I let out a breathy laugh and then hug him tightly.

"I'm just going to say this now so the rest of the day we don't have to talk about it, but I am sorry that I made our first year of marriage extremely hard." He says.

"Peeta, stop." I shake my head as we pull away.

"No, Katniss. Please just listen to me? Then I'll shut up about it."

I sigh and nod my head, letting him continue because if not he will insist on it later and it's better to get it over with now.

"I have no way to explain how sorry I am for the way I treated you this year. I made a lot of mistakes and I will always regret the things that I should've done differently for you." Peeta starts and all I can do is listen and think about how untrue this is.

I was infuriated and hurt by a lot of the things that Peeta said and did but I've said and done some things I regret too. Did I think our marriage would survive some of the things he said or did? Not really but Willow came at the perfect time and she helped us get back on track.

She helped us remember how much we truly love and care about each other, in good times and bad.

Willow helped remind us of the promises we made when we became husband and wife.

"I broke a lot of promises and hurt you so much and I'm sorry. None of that was ever intentional. Not one bit of it, Katniss." He frowns, his face so guilty but also angry with himself.