Flight

Mahi's POV

I was so happy yesterday morning. It still amazes me to think about how life can change all of a sudden that you don't even get a chance to respond.

You don't get to sit back and think just how lonely you are. That can be a good thing though, not thinking about the loneliness. But now it's even more overwhelming when I know that Chris isn't here and I probably will never see him again. I can feel the void, created by his absence and I'm fearing that it's not the kind of void that anyone else can fill.

A tear escapes my eyes and I wipe it too fast. I'm sitting alone and the passenger on my left hasn't arrived yet. I hope the seat is vacant so I can get full privacy but at the same time I don't want to cry again so I want it to be occupied. My thoughts are only creating mess and my head hurts now.

The air hostesses move here and there and people are still entering. I did not wait for second call when they announced for my flight and now I'm regretting it. What if Chris came to meet me? What if Tyler had called him and he wanted to talk to me. It seems like an impossible scenario when he's with his girlfriend but a heart's gotta always hope!

I close my eyes for a while and feel some movement on my left. The passenger on my left has arrived, I guess. I close my eyes more tightly. I don't feel like starting conversations with strangers. But then I feel the person leaving so I guess it's the crew checking on some stuff.

Only moments later, someone nudges me softly. I open my eyes and see the air hostess standing in front of me.

"Mam, I'm really sorry but you have to switch off your phone." She says and I realise that my phone is ringing.

"Uh.. Yeah, sorry." I nod with a smile.

I look at my phone screen and it's Chris' number. I silence my phone's ringing first and stare at the screen. It's a strangely comforting feeling having him call me at this time when I need him and he doesn't even have to. It's not like he's obligated, or something to take care of me.

Before I answer, it stops ringing, then starts ringing again. I pick it up hastily.

"Hey!" Chris says so softly, my heart melts.

"Hey!" I say and try gulping down my tears that are threatening to come out.

"Shh.. Stop crying, please."

And I realise I've started crying already. I'm so emotional and if I'm being honest, Chris has seen me crying more times than my whole family has seen me do it. I don't mind it though.

"Chris?" I initiate.

"Yeah?" He responds, softly, as before.

"Dad..."

"Hey.. Shh... Don't worry, OK. He'll be fine, I'm sure."

I don't say anything. I just nod, as if he's talking to me in person.

"Mahi?"

"Yeah?"

"Sarah isn't my girlfriend!" Chris say out of nowhere.

I don't know why he's saying that now and why does it matter to me but for some godforsaken reason, it does. It does matter to me and I'm slightly less worried.

"Oh!"

That's all I say. I'm not sure if I want to torture him, or myself. But I am happy. Really. My heart is just trying to move cautiously, that's why I'm not jumping up and down on my feet. That's all.

"Oh! Seriously? That's all you're gonna say?" He asks disappointed.

"What else can I possibly say in your personal matter, Chris?" I tell him. That's an awkward sentence, but I guess it makes sense, just a little bit.

"So I guess I should not have taken the flight that you are in! It's your personal matter after all." Chris tells me.

"What???? What are you...." He didn't let me finish my sentence and takes the phone from my hand. I didn't even see him coming. What the.... Oh my god....

Without another thought, I stand up and rush in his arms. I hug him so tightly, he pretends coughing. But hugs me back at the same time.

"I'm sensing a pattern here!" He jokes referring to the time I rushed to him in the park and a giggle escapes my lips, despite my crying, simultaneously.

"My seat is next to you." He tells me.

I nod without a word, trying to hide in him. Moments pass when the air hostess, who asked me to shut off my phone, comes and asks her to sit down and fasten our seat belts. We both do the same.

Chris takes my hand in his and gives me a warm smile.

"I think you should really call Tyler when we land. He's the one who bought 2 tickets." He says.

"He did? Oh my god! Tyler's so sweet!" I can't believe he did that.

Chris nods. "When I left my office, I was trying to call you guys back. You were not picking up. When Tyler did, he told me everything. I, too, can't thank him enough for doing it. I knew you would need me. He knew it too."

Words don't come out of my mouth and I stare at Chris, wondering how to thank god for sending him in my life and Tyler, too.

"I'm so glad you found me again." I tell him.

"Me too."

And I've never seen a more reassuring and comforting smile before.

[Saying sorry after every chapter is weird, but I am truly sorry for the delay. Please, share, vote & comment. Inbox me suggestions. Thanks a lot :) ]