Thinking Out Loud

Mahi's POV

"All good things begin from the worst of times..."
This quote is written on the wall on my right and leaves me wondering how can it be true.
"That which doesn't kills you, makes you stronger..."
This quote is written right next to the previous one and answers my question. Being stronger than yesterday is a good thing.

This place is charismatic, not in an elegant way but in a way that once you enter through those dark wooden doors, you want to stay inside. It's just that cool. One wall inside here is completely covered in graffiti and various quotes. Other walls are cream coloured with amazing posters of classic Bollywood movies hanging on one wall on the left of the entrance. We are sitting on the right corners and the main entrance is in my view and the night sky is my view from the window. The sky has been stormy since I noticed it tonight. I like to look at the sky. As a kid, Dad used to take me to the terrace and tell me that the only thing we humans have in common is nature. Nature must be admired, he used to say. We have one sky and the air we breathe keeps moving, the water we drink keeps flowing. They cannot be confined in small places. They need their own space. Sky gives shelter to the homeless without even asking. 'Be like nature, uncontrollable, unconfined, most beautiful by just being how it was created' he said to me. I've been trying to do the same. Dad just forgot what he asked me to do.

"If you want, I can order?" Chris asks softly, breaking my trance.

"Yeah sure."

He doesn't say anything, just smiles and calls the waiter. An Asian guy appears in front of our table and Chris orders for both of us and I'm surprised when he asks for 'Dal makhni and tandoori roti'. The part where I can't control my laughter is when he says 'Makkhan maarke laiyo' in that american accent, it's cute and funny at the same time.

"What?" He says chuckling, "I know I didn't say it wrong, ok. So don't try to fool me!"

He winks and I laugh louder. "You're adorable." I tell him.

"I know a lot about Indian food." He says proudly.

"Really, what's most popular dish of Punjab?" I ask him smirking.

"Makki Di roti and sarson da saag. I've eaten that a lot."

"Whoa! I'm impressed."

Chris nods smirking and asks if I want something else. I shake my head and continue to finish my plate. My appetite is negligent at the moment but I know my stomach needed food so I should eat a little.

"So, where are you from basically?" Chris asks taking a big bite of chapati. I almost laugh at him until I realise, I'm doing the same. I take big bites of food when I'm anxious and try to finish it as fast as possible.

"Chaniya, it's a village near Jalandhar. You wouldn't find it on Google maps." I tell him, "I did my schooling from Jalandhar. I wanted to become a doctor so I left my native place and went to Delhi for MBBS."

"You're quite the passionate one in your family, huh?" He asks.

"That quality runs in my genes. My daddy started his business from scratch. My grandparents were broke after the India-Pakistan partition. He built the foundation of Chopra travels. My brother has literally doubled the business in the last six years. My mother worked her ass of to get her three younger brothers and one younger sister settled. You see, I'm no different." Chris looks amazed as I tell him the story of my family.