A Morning

Chris' POV

I knocked twice on the door but Mahi didn't open it. It's 10:30 in the morning. I just want to see if she needs anything. Last night was a disaster for her. I can't even begin to imagine what would've happened if I had not found her. I don't want to imagine anything other than what happened. Her sitting alone in a park at night was enough to shake my sleepy brain to awake. I still don't know what possessed me to go to that park. When I left her in the room last night, I couldn't sleep. I came out of my room to get some water and I heard her sobbing. I almost entered the room to comfort her but I thought she might need some time alone to process what's happening around her.
Now she's not opening the door. Should I just go in. I try the lock and it's open. It's my house, of course I can go inside if I want. But I probably should not. The hell with it! I need to see if she's OK. I'll think of the consequences later. I enter the room tiptoed, not really wanting to disturb her. The sight in front of me made my heart sink. She's sitting beside the bed, on the floor, head resting on the bed on her arms. Her eyes closed, face is covered in dry tears, distress still clear on her face. I want to pick her up and place her on the bed but that would wake her up. I don't want her to wake up and get sad all over again.

I go near her just to see her face clearly and my eyes land on her hands. She's holding a piece of paper and a pen in her sleep. I walk closer and take the paper to read. She's not holding it tightly so it comes in my hand easily. Scribbled in blue ink are some words. It's readable and her handwriting is much better compared to the other doctors I know. It's not cursive or anything but it's making me want to read it. What's wrong with me. Her writing is controlling my actions now. I know I shouldn't read it but....

"There is no road visible ahead. I'm walking still. It started to feel this way long time ago. Destinations are far away and the path is not clear. To be honest, neither are destinations.
Asking questions myself won't help, can't ask from anyone else. I'm not alone but nobody else is around. This is all such shitttt..."

I don't know why, but her words strike an arrow straight through my heart. I'm suddenly reminded of a friend of mine, Mark, his name was. He once said, 'I don't know why but girls can never put their thoughts into words.' I believed him then. I refuse to believe him now. Just by being with Mahi for a few hours, I know what she means by each and every word. I reckon it has happened with him. I reckon he has ever met a girl, who, without saying a single word had told him her life stories, had told him how much her family means to her or how much her independence has costed her.

Either that, or Mahi is simply different from all of them. I don't know which one is correct. I don't want to know either. I place the paper back in her hand in it's initial position and stand there, staring at her sleeping figure. I never noticed how much her dark black hair complement her facial features. Even in her sleep, she's...

My thoughts are brought to an abrupt halt by sudden ringing of my phone. I hastily take it out of my pocket and see the caller id. It's Sarah, my ex girlfriend. I rush out of the room, almost falling in the way, so the ringing doesn't wake up Mahi. Once I'm in the living room, I pick up the call, breathing heavily.

"Hello."

"Hey Chris, honey! How are you?" She asks in the fakest concerned voice she could make. It's weird, I've never found her voice this annoying. Maybe I never noticed but how can you hear this voice and not cringe.

"I'm good. Why did you call?" I say, my voice a little low, still panting.

"I thought we needed to talk. What's wrong? Why are you out of breath? Why the hell are you talking like that? Where are you?" She continues to rant by the time I forgot half her questions.

"I'm busy. I'll call..."

"Chris..." Another female voice interrupts me. It's Mahi of course. I turn around to see her standing in my sister's black and white pajama with minions printed on it and a long white top. She's not very cheerful, I can tell. Despite that chuckle escapes my lips because of her attire as I'm wearing black and white too, just not with the minions print. I motion my finger to ask for a minute. She nods, gives me a polite smile and leaves me alone in the living room.

"What was that voice?" Sarah asks. She noticed, great!

"Nothing. I was saying that I'm busy right now. I'll call you later." I disconnect without listening any further. There's nothing to talk about. Why did she even call me in the first place!

I go to the guest room. Mahi is in the bathroom. I can hear the tap running. I sit on the bed and put my head in my hands, elbows resting on my knees. I keep thinking about the events of last night. I'm tired and stressed as hell. I can't even begin to imagine what must have been going through Mahi's mind. She's the one who has to deal with it. I don't know till what point she's gonna take my help. I won't restrict myself at any point though.

"Hey..."

"Hey... Did you sleep well?" I did not even notice when she came back in the room.

"Yeah... I slept fine." She lies. Her eyes are still swollen from crying.

"I have some painkillers in case you're having a headache." I tell her.

"Yes, I really do need them. Thanks."

"No problem. Come." I say and go to the kitchen to get the medicine. She follows me.

I offer her two pills but she takes only one. "I need just one." She says and forces an awkward smile. She takes the medicine with half a glass of water and I decide to make the conversation.

"If you want, we can go shopping." I offer.

"I... No... I'm fine... I'll have to go to the hospital first. They have my bank account details too. I don't know what to do, honestly, but I want to go there first and see what they can do.

"Aren't you going to inform your family?" I ask slightly shocked that she isn't thinking about doing so. What's wrong with her.

"Not right now. They'll freak out. I'll tell them when I'll find a place to stay. They worry about me constantly for no reason and I don't want to give them a reason to do so now." Her answer makes complete sense so I nod understandingly.

"That's fine. You want to eat something here or should we eat on the way to your hospital?"

"What?? No..!!! You don't have to come with me! I'll take a cab." She says too fast anxiously.

"Will you just calm down? I don't have anything to do right now. I'm working from home office this month. I can take you whenever and wherever you want. Just tell me about your plan for breakfast because I don't know about you but I'm hungry." I say lightening the mood a little.

She laughs lightly and says, "We can go now. I'm hungry too."

After finding my car keys and wallet, we head for the door. I don't know why but I don't bother to change my clothes and neither does Mahi. I don't want to remind her either. I'm slightly giddy to take her somewhere first thing in the morning.

[So sorry for the delay. I'll update next part soon, I promise. Thanks a lot for the reads, votes and comments. Please continue being humble. Suggestions are always welcome. :) :) ]