The Fire

Mahi's POV
That is exactly how everyone reacts when they hear that I'm a psychiatrist. People think I'm not the type of person who can feel others' pain. By people, I mean my family. What they don't know is that it all needs understanding. Being a doctor, first thing I need is understanding that not everyone is going to be OK, understanding that I have duties and responsibilities to take care of, understanding that I'm a human too. I'm a psychiatrist and I understand human behavior. But they won't understand that I know a few things about life and I can apply them in my practice. My daddy laughed at me when I told him about my career plans, of being a doctor. Just now, Chris laughed at me too. But then he smiled. At least his smile was sincere. I happen to know the difference between a real smile and a fake one. I myself haven't smiled like that in a while.
He's really cute, good looking too. The way he tried to converse in Hindi was so funny and adorable simultaneously. I could not stop laughing. He must have thought that I'm a freak. Well I kind of am, at least he is not. If I had any negative vibes when he was around, I would not have talked to him. I can tell he's a gentleman.
Even if he was staring. He made up for that anyway. He's an engineer. And lord bless the girl who doesn't notices his perfect jawline. The guy's almost 6 feet. I didn't even interrupt him staring at me for a few seconds because I was kind of looking into his crystal blue eyes. Blue eyes are not rare but his eyes are just the type which will make you look into them and tell them everything you have in mind right at the moment. They press you for answers and I'm sure he's not the one to wait for anything. That quality reflects in his eyes. He's wearing a suit at a club where everyone is wearing their most comfortable outfit. His brownish, almost auburn hair, gelled perfectly, complete his look. Doesn't he know how to loosen up a bit?
I wonder if he has a girl... What the hell... Why am I thinking about him? But what if he has a girl friend? What if...
Chris returns with my drink before I reach to any conclusion in my mind. "Here... It's chilled." He smiles.
"Thanks." I tell him gulping my drink in one go.
"Whoa.. Slow down lady..."
I chuckle and place my glass back. "So, Chris?" I begin.
"Yeah?" He answers sipping his drink, looking dreamy, with his blue orbs piercing mine.
"When was the last time you visited India?"
"Actually it was last year only. I might visit again this year." He tells me.
"Really? When?"
"I'm not sure about that. It could be this month or next month."
"Oh!" I nod.
"So, you've been here a month. Seen any places?"
"I've done nothing except setting up my apartment. It took me a whole month. I didn't even make any friends. I miss my family you know!"
"I remember when I was new here. I used to party every night with my friends. They were all party animals, including Tyler."
"Tyler?"
"The one you set up with your friend Tasha." He reminds me pointing to where they are dancing. They both are dancing together. He's a pretty fast guy, I must say.
"By the way, she's not my friend. I just met her tonight. I don't even know her name." I might as well tell him now.
"What? But you told him..."
"I was dead tired, OK. I wanted the seat and none was empty except this one and your friend would not have given me the seat if I had asked politely. But in my defence, she did stare at him when he entered here." I declare.
"You really didn't even know her name?" He asks surprised. I shake my head.
"Wow, you're crazy!" His expression agog.
"I'm a psychiatrist. Aren't we supposed to be crazy?" I ask him and he starts laughing again.
"I keep forgetting that."
"Well you should not."
"I won't, again. Wanna dance?" He asks holding his hand out for the second time tonight.
"Sure."
He leads me to where most of the people are dancing and we start moving according to the pace of the music in the beginning.
"I forgot to mention one thing. You're eyes are irresistible." Chris says.
"That's what I keep telling myself." I say and wink at him and he laughs. Even his laughter is gentle.
"You're really crazy. I still can't believe you sent Tyler to that girl without even knowing her name."
"I said what first came to my mind. Also he seemed capable to handle the outcome." I say smirking.
At this point we are both screaming in each other's ears. It's getting louder and louder here.
"What if it was me with the drinks and Tyler would have been sitting next to you?" He asks me.
I smile and tell him, "You would not have asked me to leave the seat." I state as a matter of factly, making him smile.
"Hmmm... Now I can tell why you're a psychiatrist."
I look at his face and think what if I had not chosen this place tonight.
"You want me to show you some places around?" Chris asks.
"If that's not much of a trouble."
"It's not. It'll be fun. I'm working from home office this month anyway." He promises and I nod.
Meanwhile my phone starts vibrating in my pocket. I don't recognise the number so I don't pick it up. It starts vibrating again in a few seconds. What if it's from hospital and there's some emergency?
"I need to take this call Chris. I'll be right back."
I rush out of the teeming club. By the time I reach outside it stops vibrating. I am about to call back but it starts vibrating again. What the hell!
I pick up the call, "Hello?" My answer sounds too timid. I don't know why but there's a sinking feeling in my abdomen, all fun forgotten.
"Hello, is this Mahi?" The voice is too rushed and the unknown caller is screaming to cut out their background noise. It seems like a lost cause since the voices keep growing.
"Uh yeah, that's me. Who's this?"
"Mahi, I'm your neighbour, I live in the apartment next to you. I needed to tell you that there's a fire in the building..."

[Thanks a lot for reading... :) vote, comment, inbox me suggestions.]