Nash got a sense of déjà vu hearing his son talk of this girl. He tried to hold back his smile as he asked, "She pretty?"

         The blush staining Ortiz's cheeks worked against the look of repulsion on his face. "I mean, yeah, but what's that got to do with anything?"

         Nash chuckled. He figured it was best to leave it alone regarding that issue. "Nothing, for the time being, try not to attack any more girls, or guys, at school, okay? No more detentions or you're grounded, and that means no phone or leaving the house, and especially working at the garage."

         Ortiz grumbled to himself as he stood to his full height of five-foot-ten. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

         "See to it that it doesn't, now go and help your sister at the front counter," Nash said with a dismissive wave.

         Grounding Ortiz came often, but forbidding him from stepping foot in the auto garage Nina Soh owned was a fate worse than death. He was his mother's son in the essence that Ortiz lived and breathed cars, from the moment he was born he was always around as his mother worked on cars or talked about them. Whenever he felt like exploding due to his massive temper, he'd get lost helping out at his mother's shop fixing cars or even just washing one.

         In his mind he didn't like Suri Yeo, even if the Korean girl was mega attractive. To Ortiz, they were like baking soda and vinegar, you put them together and bad things happened quickly.

         Ortiz went and put on an apron as he joined Elena at the front counter, quickly taking Hye and bouncing her on his hip as he smiled down to the baby.

         Nash was comforted in this sight, and then he noted the front door ringing yet again with the welcome of another arrival. This time it was his wife.

         At six months pregnant, Nina Soh walked into Hye's and instantly reached out to a nearby table to grab a napkin to wipe her hands on, as if to hide her guilt. She owned an auto garage on the west side of Rowland that saw good business, and while she had a healthy staff that could run the place while she sat at home, it took a lot to pry Nina away from her work, even if she were pregnant.

         Upon discarding the dirty napkin, she looked over and caught her husband staring, shaking his head in disapproval and she reddened in shame.

         Nash set his work aside as he grabbed a chair and pulled it right next to him. He patted the seat and faced his wife. "Come here, momma."

         Nina was slow to cross the establishment as she went and took her seat next to her husband. She'd been caught, and was too shy to face his scrutiny.

         Nash at once took Nina's hands and examined them. "What have we here?"

         Nina pouted just a little. "I was just helping my new guy."

         "Nina." Nash clicked his tongue. "Pregnant women aren't supposed to be around that environment."

         "Stop knocking me up then!" Nina pretended to hiss.

         Nash got this naughty expression on his face as he regarded his wife. "Not happening." Although he said this, he did think the idea of having four children was enough.

         Nina rubbed her round belly as she slit her eyes. "I can't wait until my son is born so we can get together with Ortiz and jump you."

         Nash reached out and caressed Nina's growing belly as well. "When Sal gets here I'm sure he'll be on my side."

         Nina moved away, only to give in and move closer to her husband. "If Salvador's anything like his father and brother, I'm sure I'll have my hands full enough not to be able to look over the garage personally. Speaking of which, did you speak with Ortiz?"

         Nash nodded. "We talked about it. I told him to keep his hands to himself or he's grounded. No phone, no garage, and no leaving the house."

         Nina's mouth dropped open in disgust. "That's it?"

         Nash rolled his eyes. "I was not about to tell my son to tell a seventeen-year-old girl that his mother is crazy."

         "Well I am," Nina insisted. "I heard some kids are transfers from Hacienda Heights."

         "Okay?"

         Nina couldn't believe her husband's ignorance and nonchalance. While they themselves had escaped harm's way, in recent years the gang life had come back tenfold. Rumors swirled around of a woman, Jade Chung, breeding a new era of evil all the way from Korea as her set was called the Wolves. With the idea of kids coming from Hacienda to Rowland for school, Nina was weary about her son's safety, but she wasn't too afraid to confront a teenage girl if she was linked to danger. No one messed with Nina's family. That was her mantra that she'd stood by for as long as she was alive.

         "How do we know that that girl isn't a Wolf? I will not have my son targeted because some little snot nosed brat has a crush or an attitude problem," Nina said.

         Nash chuckled. "Easy, relax. We don't know for sure that she's connected and let's not assume otherwise. Hacienda Heights has seen some new times. Some Soldiers hooked up with some Dragons and are married now. Some of them left that life behind a long time ago, and if a new gang is in town, I'm sure the OGs will run them out or take care of it. For now, let's not worry, this is Rowland, this is freedom and we have left that life of looking over your shoulder behind.

         "Our son is smart, a bit reckless, but smart. He and his sister both know our story and where we come from, they know better to get involved in that shit. I think it's just a crush, and let's leave it at that until it becomes otherwise."

         Nina wasn't so sure, but she decided to lean on her husband for the time being until something else happened. "And Elena?"

         "I gave the go-ahead, so long as she watches Hye for us Friday night and manages to meet with her grandmother Saturday as well," Nash said.

         "And?" Nina goaded.

         "And I'll do a little background work with Mariposa," Nash added, speaking of his sister-in-law who taught at Santana High.

         Nina finally relaxed as she reached up and cupped her husband's chin. "That's my guy."

         "We've been married for twenty years; don't you know I've got your back by now?" Nash asked.

         Nina nestled closer to Nash and basked in his existence. "I guess I should give you more credit, huh?" She leaned up a little and stole a kiss, catching her daughter, Elena, looking horrified from the corner of her eye. Nina tossed her daughter a taunting look before returning to the love of her life. "We have good kids, don't we?"

         "The best," Nash agreed.

         Nina rested her hand on her stomach, on baby number four. "We have a good life, too." She looked into Nash's eyes, feeling safe and content. "I don't know where I'd be without you, Nash. We did good, didn't we, baby?"

         Nash placed his hand on Nina's, thankful for every moment in his life that led him to where he was now. "We did great."

the end

____________
Light on my Shoulder 🎶 Susie Suh