Prologue

• Dedicated to Wes (who will probably never read this, but the one who inspired me to write.)

Life in Ivadona was peaceful for ages. No evil had entered their country, and life was happy. The elementalist, Bri was a just and kind ruler. One day she had a vision. It spoke of a girl that would be born in August who would replace her as the next elementalist and lead Ivadona and the world into an extended age of peace and happiness.

Bri shared the news with the world, including their neighboring country Rhydona.

Rhydona wasn’t as prosperous as Ivadona. There were thieves everywhere, darkness in the air, and evil lurking in the shadows. Rhydona’s king and queen, Stephen and Ursula, were wicked elemental sorcerers, whose darkest wish was to rule the world. When they heard about Bri’s vision, they saw their chance. And so, they plotted to get rid of the girl before she turned eighteen, when she would become the elementalist, so their twin children could rule over Ivadona.

Bri’s vision came true. In August, all of the baby girls thought to have elemental magic were presented to Bri at the elemental temple. The girl was chosen, along with those who could stay at the temple to learn to use one of the five main elements: water, fire, earth, air and spirit.

Long years passed, and the chosen one grew into a beautiful, rebellious young woman. By her seventeenth birthday, she had mastered all but one of the elements. But darkness was on the horizon.

In the intervening years, Rhydona had created an army of dark elementals and marched on Ivadona and the magic temple, with the twin prince and princess, Roxas and Rin, leading the way. Together, the twins overwhelmed Bri and the girl and took her back to Rhydona and their parents.

Stephen and Ursula cursed the chosen one, ripping her soul into three pieces, the three pieces of her personality. The souls flew off into the world, where they formed into people.

When Bri awoke, she was devastated. Not only was the child taken, but the temple was demolished and the elementals scattered or captured. The Rhydonans had taken over the country.

In her grief, a new vision appeared to her. The chosen one would come again, and she would save their world.