Chapter 6: Confessing

Kaelyn looked down at the dreamstone in her hand, its opaque surface reflecting the starry sky around her. This stone had once belonged to another girl; someone who had helped bring the reign of a wicked queen to an end. Perhaps it could once again help defeat Fyren and save Dreams and Awake. Kaelyn felt a glimmer of hope. They sort of knew what Fyren was planning, now they needed to come up with a plan, but first

Kaelyn thought they should at least get to know each other.

“Cerulean,” Kaelyn began, “that’s your name, right?”

“Yes.”

“Like the color . . . so pretty . . . it matches you well.”

“Yeah,” Parker chimed in, “your hair is the same color as the crayon.”

“As the what?” Cerulean had a gentle smile on her pale blue lips.

“The crayon—you know, to color with—markers, pens—paper—crayons?”

Kaelyn gave Parker yet another glare, and she saw his eyebrows furl.

“Sorry,” he said. “When I get nervous I start to say really stupid things. I mean, who cares if your name comes from a Crayola box, or that you’re blue or he’s purple . . . I mean . . .sorry . . . ”

“Parker, it’s okay,” Kaelyn said. “We have every right to be nervous. I think for starters we should at least introduce ourselves. My name is Kaelyn Clarke, and I’ll be fifteen in a few weeks.” Who cares about your age? Kaelyn thought, turning a little red. “I guess you don’t need to know my age.”

“No, I think knowing your age is very helpful—especially in the dream world. You see, the older you mortals become, the less imagination you have within you. The world of Dreams is created and sustained by your imagination. I am blue because the child who imagined me saw me as a blue fairy. To know that you, Kaelyn, are only fourteen tells me you still have a few more years left of wonderful things to create. You have heard my name spoken, but now I am going to reveal my name to you . . . I am sure Gladamyr has told you about the law I am about to break?”

Kaelyn nodded and then looked at Parker. That’s right, he doesn’t know. “I know but Parker doesn’t.”

“Then let me explain, Parker.” Cerulean spoke quietly. “The greatest power a mortal can have over a dreamling is to know their name. It cannot be given by another, only the one it belongs to. There are many mysteries involved in the divulging of one’s name. I do not fully know them all myself, however, I do know that if I give you my name you are free to call on me anytime and anyplace within Dreams. Your knowing my name means we’re connected, it creates a bond between us. This bond is solid and will remain for eternity. This is why the giving of my name is so extraordinary. Now then, my name is Cerulean, and I’m one hundred and eighty years old—that is your time, of course.”

“A hundred and eighty?” Parker blurted. “Wow, you look amazing for such an old lady.”

“Parker!” Kaelyn scolded. “She’s not an old lady!”

Cerulean and Gladamyr laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Parker asked.

“I am very young according to our time; Gladamyr even younger than I. Remember I said once before that our time is inconsistent? Time changes in Dreams as the winds change in Awake.”

The dreamling on the ground let out a moan, and Cerulean turned her attention to the poor thing, who was now beginning to shake. Gladamyr shifted slightly and his starry surface blinked out for a moment. He craned his neck down lower so he could better look at his comrade.