Chapter 33

Dick watched in awe as Ilana sniffed tentatively at the flower he had picked for her. Wally had in fact sped off to get the picnic basket they had tucked away for this occasion earlier. He knew quite well that she enjoyed picnics. Was it bad that he was secretly hoping that she would like this picnic so much that every picnic she experienced thereafter would pale in comparison? The fact that all other picnics she went on happened to be with Jimmy Olsen in no way contributed to Dick's reasoning whatsoever. Oh who was he trying to kid? That was his only reasoning. Dick sighed heavily. He really could be pathetic at times. But as he stared and watched Ilana's face brighten each time she sniffed the flower he didn't care anymore. There was something almost sad in the way Ilana acted. As if she had lost something precious and was constantly trying to find. He was not however referring to her lack of sight. After the day she had been kidnapped by The Joker and Harley she seemed even worse for wear, often lost in thought and walking into more things than usual. Dick didn't want to leave her alone at all.
"Do I perhaps have something on my face?" Ilana inquired. Again Dick turned a bright shade of red. How could she tell that he was staring at her? "You see Dick," she continued calmly, "I am most definitely blind. But I am not an idiot. I can tell you are looking at me because I can feel your breath." A grin spread across her face and she laughed. Dick only realised just then that not only his eyes and head, but his entire body was facing in Ilana's direction and his breath could most definitely be felt by someone who was oversensitive to her environment. Thankfully before Dick needed to explain, for he could not think of a fast and non-creepy reason, Wally came rushing back with the picnic basket. Dick sat up immediately and helped Wally lay out the picnic blanket. The smile on Ilana's face brightened even more and that sadness she held seemed to disappear. However happiness did not last long. At least, not for Dick, because halfway through their picnic they had a very much unwanted visitor. He came around the corner, walking as of he was meant to be there. He strode right past the boys where he grabbed Ilana round the waist from behind and she let out a shrill squeal of surprise. But she was laughing as Jimmy Olsen hoisted her up and hugged her. She even turned around to hug him back. It took all of his self control and Wally to hold Dick back from punching this red-haired yahoo into next fall. "I can't believe you're actually here!" Ilana laughed.
"Yeah! Mr Wayne had a fancy car sent for me and everything. He told me you were having a picnic and he said he knows that's what we usually do so he invited me," Jimmy said.
"I better make sure to thank him," Ilana smiled.
"I better make sure to grease batarangs..." Dick mumbled softly.
"What was that Dick?" Jimmy asked smilingly. Dick couldn't help but notice the emphasis he had put on his nickname and the smirk he was wearing. Again Dick had to stop himself from doing something foolish.
"So what's up with these two?" Jimmy asked taking a seat on the mat and grabbing a sandwhich. This guy had some nerve! Not only does he barge in on their picnic but he makes himself at home so quickly. To make matters worse Ilana sat down next to him. Next to him for goodness sake! And she was laughing with him! And they were both laughing! Together! Since when did this turn into a mad house where random men start talking up his mentor's blind niece? And moreover taking focus away from the fact that he had set up this nice picnic so that she could forget about Jimmy! Dick was so frustrated and he didn't even know why!? He barely knew Ilana. But there was just something about her that he couldn't quite pinpoint. He was mad at Jimmy. Then he got mad at himself for being mad at Jimmy. Being a teenager really sucks sometimes he thought ruefully. He glared at Jimmy from behind his glasses and didn't really pay attention till he heard the word 'date'.
"So how was the date?" Ilana asked.
"I think it went well. She seemed to really like him. But poor Mr Kent was at his wits end and he even dashed out in the middle saying that there was an emergency at the paper. At 11 at night!" Jimmy laughed. Ilana laughed hard too.
"Uncle Clark just needs to relax. He gets so worked up and he is always worried about Ms Lane finding out," she said.
"Woah! That big reporter guy likes the Lois Lane?" Wally asked.
"Like is putting it lightly my friend. If Lois said jump Clark would figure out a way to fly like Superman! But he isn't just some reporter guy either. They are Lois and Clark..." Jimmy said.
"The best reporting team in Metropolis!" Ilana finished.
"They have solved tons of cases together. Some not even the police could crack. And sometimes they even get help from Superman himself! Him and CK are real tight," Jimmy ended with a flourish.
At this Ilana gave a slight smile and Dick started to laugh while Wally and Jimmy just stared at them. Dick actually felt sorry for that Clark Kent guy. To have the woman you love in love with your superhero persona sucked. Especially when she saw nothing special in your actual personality. Of course Dick knew that Superman and Clark Kent were one and the same. He wasn't called the Boy Wonder for nothing. I mean it was easy enough to figure out. Connor always spoke about his awesome older brother Clark and Clark and Bruce are friends. It only made sense. That must be difficult though. Having people like one side of you and not the other....must be lonely.