Chapter 42

What had happened at lunch had seemed all too suspicious for Ilana's liking, and she could tell that Robin was thinking the same. She had played all her cards right, taking full advantage of the fact that she was blind in order to stall for time and give Jimmy a chance to use the signal watch. She had even made herself cry, though she was relieved that Jimmy was safe. Ian stayed close by her side the rest of the day, cautious of every person that they passed. It seemed that she was somehow being targeted. Even her friend that she had barely made at school had been kidnapped by Klarion. Then she had been taken by the Joker. And now they were attacked again. All of it was simply too coincidental. And nothing that coincidental happened. Someone was planning this. But who? and why?
 After seeing Jimmy off the trio decided it would be safest to stay at Clark's house instead of taking the now seemingly dangerous journey back to Gotham so late in the day. Though Ilana and Ian could easily fly home, they didn't want to risk raising Dick's suspicions of them. Once they arrived Ilana burst through the door with the key she still had without even knocking.
"We're staying over CK!"she yelled into the empty apartment. 
"Seems like he's out," Dick said.
Ilana quickly scanned the house, finding her uncle no where. How odd, he was usually home at this time. She remembered where Clark kept his landline and she quickly dialed him up. He picked u after the first ring.
"Kent here,"came his voice.
"CK, I'm at your apartment. Can Ian, Dick and I stay over for the night. Some strange things have been happening," she said.
"Sure sweetie, no problem. I'll bring back food and you can tell me about your day,"he said before hanging up.
She could hear the panic in his voice fading, glad to have been able to speak to her. He was there way faster than he should of been, carrying food from a restaurant too far from his home to have been called, gotten food and made it back in the time that he did. Clearly his fear for her safety had overridden his sense of caution, not even bothering to avoid drawing attention to his alien self being noticed. Ilana knew that if Dick picked up on the fact that she and Ian knew the true identities of her uncles that he would be able to piece together the fact that she was Elementa. Clark scooped Ilana up in his arms and gave her a near bone-crushing hug. Ian practically panicked before he too got the same treatment. The large man laughed, smacking Ian playfully on the back which almost sent him flying. When they told him about their day, he acted as if he knew nothing of what had happened, and reacted perfectly at all the details. 
"This seems all very odd,"he voiced the concerns that no one had dared to.
"It just seems that way, no worries," Ilana said smoothly. 
"In any case, stay here the night and I'll see you guys off tomorrow. Now, get to bed," he said as he lifted himself off the couch. Ilana tugged on her brother's sleeve and he nodded.
"I'll just phone uncle Bruce,"he said before disappearing out the door, leaving Dick and Ilana alone.
"Crazy day, huh." Ilana said flatly.
"Super crazy. I almost forgot to stay whelmed," he said.
"Whelmed?" she asked questioningly.
"Whelmed. Not over or under, just whelmed,"he explained as if it made perfect sense.
Ilana laughed, pleasantly surprised at the Boy Wonder's logic. She was really going to miss him.