August 23rd, 1992

On the 21st and 22nd, River and I didn't even talk. We usually talked at least every other day, and that's how I knew something was wrong. It was our first fight, our worst fight. Honestly, although I was invited to dinner at the Phoenix residents to celebrate his birthday and meet his parents, I almost didn't even show up. I wasn't sure what we were anymore, or how us was going. I knew I had hurt him, even though it was over something that seemed so little to me.

But, I had already bought him a present, and if he didn't want me there, he could always fake sick or something. I remember knocking on the door of a rundown house in the middle of a large neighborhood, standing awkwardly in the doorway, in a short sundress even though it was windy and rainy, holding a wrapped present.

"Who is it?" A voice asked me from behind the door.

"Lucy. I'm a friend of River's," I called back. Immediately, the door opened and a beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes appeared.

"Hi," She said, sticking her hand out.

"Hi," I responded, shaking her hand.

"I'm Summer," She said.

"Summer? It's nice to finally meet you. River talks about you a lot," I responded, letting her hand go.

"He talks about you a lot too, Lucy. He didn't do justice to how pretty you are, though," she said. I smiled at her.

"Thank you, Summer. You too," I said. She blushed, looking excited at the compliment.

"How old are you?" I asked her. River had told me before, and I knew she was the baby of the family, I just couldn't remember her age.

"14," she said proudly. "Almost 15." She smiled at me, brightening my mood. As soon as I met her, I didn't feel as awkward.

"That's great. Um... Where's River?" I asked, gesturing to my gift for him.

"Oh yeah," she laughs. "Come on in..." And then she yells for River to come down. He comes down the stairs and the two of us make eye contact. I try to smile at him, but he looks down at the floor.

"Summer, can we have a second alone?" He asks his little sister. She nods, waving goodbye to me and hopping happily into the kitchen.

"She seems sweet," I told him. He nods.

"Yeah. She is." I try to smile at him.

"River... I'm sorry about the other day. I was... I was stressed and mad at myself and I took it out on you, and that was wrong. I hope you can forgive me," I said to him, bravely looking him in the eye the entire time. Thoughts ran through my mid about how an apology won't change whether he hates me or not. My anxiety skyrockets and I try not to breathe too heavily or loudly.

"I'm sorry," I said again when he didn't respond. That's when I really realized how much this guy meant to me. Everything. Everything to me. And it meant so much knowing whether or not he still likes me. Still cared for me. Still loved me. Slowly, I watched as a smile appeared on River's face.

"I can't stay mad at you, Lucy. I don't know why... I was so hurt and upset last night. And then I stared thinking about how much I care for you.. And I decided that if you still showed up today, even knowing how mad I was, then you're worth it." I stood there, frozen and speechless, staring at River. He took a step closer to me. I smiled at him.

"I love you," He whispered. I put my arms around his neck. He put a hand on my cheek and we both leaned in.

"Aww!" A voice cried. River looked over, breaking our kiss.

"Summer, I thought I told you to give us a minute!" She smiled at him, then ran out of the room, laughing.

"Sorry about her," River said, looking back to me. I giggled.

"She's fine... Happy birthday, by the way," I said. He smiled brightly, and then I was in his arms for another kiss.

A/N: One more chapter coming today and then the Thanksgiving one tomorrow. Hope you enjoy!