July 4th, 1992: Part 2

The fireworks show was beautiful. River and I walked back to the car after having our dinner, and he took a big quilt out of the trunk. Then, he and I walked hand in hand to the beach. It became a normal thing, I don't even think he realized we were doing it, but I did. His hand felt comforting and safe against mine, like he would never let me go.

"Is right here okay?" He asked me. I nodded.

"Yeah, it's fine," I responded.

"Great." He spread out the blanked, and we both sat down. He was crisscross, and I had my legs spread out in front of me.

"The fireworks here are amazing. I watched them here last year, and they were the best I'd ever seen," He said, trying to make conversation. I smiled looking up at the sky.

Absentmindedly, I said something like, "Everything's amazing when you're around." And a huge smile appeared on River's face. I just hoped he was thinking the same thing.

The fire works show was amazing, probably the best I'd ever seen, too. But they were even better with River around. We started by sitting there, his arm around my waist to laying on the blanket together, my head resting in the crook of his neck. He played with my hair as we watched the colorful explosion above.

It was glorious. River and I just laid there, enjoying each other's company. Sometime during that time, he took my hand again. I didn't mind at all. I scooted closer to him, resting my head closer to him. The heat on his body radiated to me, making me less regret my choice not to bring a jacket.

After the fireworks were over, I was in heaven. I didn't want to move.

"How was it?" He asked me. I smiled widely.

"It was... breathtaking," I whispered, staring up into the infinite sky, watching the smoke rise into the air, the residue of the fireworks.

"Just like you," he responded, leaning over to kiss my cheek. I absolutely in heaven. I wanted to lay in his arms forever and kiss him and tell him how much I love him, but instead, I savor ex the moment until he stood up and held up a hand to help me to my feet.

Our ride home was silent, we just enjoyed each other's company.

"I had a great time with you, Lucy," he said as we get to my house.

"So did I, River. Thank you for tonight," I said. He nodded and got out of the car to open my door, like the gentleman he is.

"Have a good night," I said. Again, he kissed my cheek.

A/N: 5 AM on Saturday morning... We'll pretend this isn't late 😳 I really love this story and this chapter, part two of July 4th is one of the chapters I'm most proud of😊 What are your thoughts so far? I'm going back to bed now, so maybe I'll have something nice to wake up to! 😂