"It is once you think about it. It's not just words you read. It's like a life you live, you know?" he asks. I nod my head. Wow. That was deep. I didn't know he thought about it like that. But I like it. I feel like I could talk to Ponyboy about anything when it came down to it. He understands.  

He pulls a cigarette out of a small carton and lights it up. He takes a long drag and blows out the smoke. It seems weird that he does that in actual reality. But I've got to remember that he's real now. This isn't a fictional world anymore.  

"What's a dream you've had before?" I ask.  

"I have lots of 'em," he says.  

"A good one," I specify.  

"All of us were happy. What about you? A good dream, I mean." 

"Everyone thought I was perfect. I don't know why, but it felt good to think someone said that." 

"Being perfect ain't everything. Having what you need is important," he says. 

"That's true..." 

"But I see what you mean. We all have dreams about being happy for once. Poor Johnny has nobody. We just got each other. We're like a family," he says. 

I think about that. They are a family. Sure they have their problems and differences. But they all look out for each other. Everyone knows everyone, and they care about them. Even if it isn't shown, one way or another it's expressed.  

He puts out his cigarette, grinding it into an ashtray. The smell hasn't bothered me, which is surprising. My dad started smoking years back. And always in front of me, even after I told him to stop.  

The door swings open as someone walks in. "Hey, Ponyboy! Where's your brothers?" he asks.  

"Work. What are you doing out early, Dall?" he asks, standing up and dusting the seat of his pants.  

"Oh you know, good behavior and all," he says. This must be the infamous Dallas Winston. He looks me over with a strange look on his face.  

"Who's the broad you got here?" he says. I stand up.  

"Her name's JT. Found her beat up by some socs. She got lost," he explains for me. Dallas looks me up and down.  

"I wouldn't walk alone around here, sweetheart," he says, taking a drag on his cigarette.  

"I learned that quick enough," I reply. He raises his eyebrows and blows smoke.  

"And uh, what was your name again?" 

"JT," I answer confidently.  

"I'm-" 

"I know who you are, Dallas. You're pretty famous around here, aren't you?" He grins smugly.  

"Got a rep to keep," he says proudly. I just knew that'd get him going. He has such a record to brag about. Everyone knows he's never up to any good. Since when would he be? 

"You dig okay," he tells me. "So where's Johnny or Two-Bit?" 

"I don't know. Haven't seen any of them today," Pony answers. Then he changes the subject as quickly as it was started.  

"Let's get out of here," Dally says. We follow him out the door. The three of us begin walking. To make it weird, I'm right between both of them.  

"If you're gonna be around, you gotta know a few things," Dally tells me.  

"Like what?" I ask.  

"Don't walk alone." 

"That's obvious," I mumble.  

Change Your Life (The Outsiders fanfic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara