35| Secrecy Sucks

I broke away from the kiss and pressed my forehead against his. "I don't want to fight anymore."

"Neither do I," he breathed, twisting the corner of his mouth downward. "You've no idea how I've been feeling these past few days."

I smiled. "No, I knew. The rain was a dead give away that you were pissed."

He returned the smile. "I guess that was just out of impulse. The townspeople of Cloverdale are lucky it was rain and not anything worse."

The smile on my face vanished. "You wouldn't do anything dangerous, would you?"

"Of course I wouldn't," he said without hesitation, "at least not on purpose. Besides, I don't plan on doing anything dangerous any time soon." He nuzzled his head onto my shoulder, brushing his lips against my neck. "I have you back. There's no need to do any of those things."

My mouth stopped working once his kisses made a path over my neck, moving lower with each kiss. I squeezed my eyes shut and inhaled, hoping that my voice didn't come out fragile and faint. I needed to stand my ground. He was talking like a crazy person. There was no way he'd get away with saying something like that and then simply push it aside.

"Clyde..." I trailed off.

"What?" He asked over my skin.

"Tell me you weren't serious about what you just said."

"I am serious."

"That's not what I wanted to hear," I grumbled. "You can't just casually act like putting innocent people's lives in danger is not a big deal."

He sighed, finally seeing that I wasn't going to give up anytime soon. He pushed me back by holding my shoulders. Now we were eye to eye.

"'Nabella, when I say that, I don't mean I'm planning on doing anything dangerous for the hell of it. Every time I change the weather simply because of how I feel, I don't do it intentionally. I can't quite control those bad habits, but I have to live with it until I can fully understand it and really learn how to contain it. Sometimes emotions take over my powers and it takes a bit for me to control it. I'm still a student myself."

"Okay. That's good to know." I muttered with a sigh of relief. "How long does it typically take for you to get things under control?"

He chuckled softly. "It's not like I wake up with it under control one day. It takes time and it takes practice--decades of training. The more I use my powers and the longer I have them, the more control I'll gain. There's many people who are a lot older than me who still don't have complete control of their abilities. That's a possibility for me too, that I'll just never get one hundred percent control and I have to live with that reality. We all do. Our magic is like a muscle. The more you work on it, strengthening it, the better you will become."

"That makes sense." I said, crossing my arms over my chest. But the moment I did that, he grabbed my wrists and pushed them apart, placing both arms down at my sides.

His eyes dropped to my chest and then back up to my eyes again. "I was watching those."

I rolled my eyes, laughing. "Shut up."

Shaking off his hold on my arms, I moved them to wrap around his shoulders, pulling him in for a kiss that was long awaited. I covered my mouth with his, tilting my head as I begin to deepen the kiss.

Clyde's fingers crept under the hem of my shirt, slowly making his way up my spine. In one swift motion, he discarded the sweater off of me and onto the bedroom floor, leaving me with nothing but my underwear. I watched him as a dark gleam danced into his eyes when he looked down at my chest. I'd never seen this expression on him before.