12| Our New Neighbor

Even though I was annoyed with the secrecy between Monica and Hazel, I agree on the shopping trip and say I'd go. It has been a while since we've all gone shopping together. But simply cause I had said yes to the trip didn't mean I'd magically forget what my roommates were hiding from me. I knew something was up, I just wasn't sure where I should look.

Clyde and Gideon seemed like a good place to start. They both came over last night and Monica and Hazel suddenly disappeared by the end of the night after they came over. That might be a hint.

That next morning after the madness of last night, I yawned my way to the restroom, shuffling my feet against the hardwood floor in my fluffy purple socks.

Flicking on the light, I peered at my reflection...then stared at myself even harder. A hand settled on the scar Amy had scratched two nights before...or at least what was left of the scar. Which wasn't much.

A hairline red scratch went across my face, hardly even visible, and definitely not as large as the scar I had yesterday. The scratch on my face now looked about a few weeks old, not a few days.

"Looks like Clyde's remedy worked magic on your scar," a voice said from behind me. I spun around and saw Hazel in the hallway, leaning on the door frame. Her eyes were almost as big as mine, "That healed a lot faster than I thought it would," she gasped, "It's barely even there!"

Something inside of me questioned the tone in her voice, and the use of the word magic. She didn't sound very genuine. If I knew any better, I'd assume she was lying. And if I dug any deeper into this thought, I could tell there was a bit of disappointment in her reaction, like she hoped Clyde's cream wouldn't work on me. I would say something about it, but it was much too early in the morning to make such assumptions so I let it go. For now.

Whatever Gideon and Clyde put in that cream of theirs, it had worked. I was going to thank what they did for me on such late notice for now and investigate on it some other time. People were acting sketchy and the impossible was becoming possible. Either I was seeing shit or I was just paranoid. Knowing me, probably both.

...

Monica got my family off my back for only the afternoon. She had told them a lie that would give us enough free time until around 8pm tonight. Because of that, we had the luxury to take as long as we wanted to go shopping. Since the party Clyde invited me to was next week, I decided to look for a new outfit for the occasion.

On the drive to the mall a few blocks away from campus, I took out my phone and checked anything new I had received from last night. I had barely even looked at my phone since yesterday morning.

My stomach plummeted when I noticed the last missed call I had.

Brandon Myers
Two missed calls.

I cursed under my breath and tried to make up a reason to why I shouldn't tell my boyfriend the truth. There was no pretty way to say it, no matter how I planned on saying it. I cheated.

It was plain and simple. I always thought I was strong enough to say no to other guys who weren't Brandon....but that was before I met Clyde Remington. Even his name sounded like trouble, the kind of trouble your mother warned you about and your friends fell madly, insanely, stupidly in love with.

Clyde was the hurricane I didn't have any sirens for. Nothing could warn me off a guy like him. There was a drive in him, a seductive swagger that I had never seen in anyone else. I was so sure of myself when I entered college that I wouldn't be like the other high school sweet hearts. That I wouldn't be a statistic. That I would tell everyone off who thought Brandon and I wouldn't last all four years.