18| Bonfire (Part 2)

I needed to clear my thoughts and separate the things that I did know, from the things I wasn't all that sure about.

Thing one I did know for fact: my mom and dad met at East Oregon University in the fall of my mother's Sophomore year, and my dad's junior year at the university. They never really specified how they met, but they would always say they had known the same people. I never really saw much reason to ask much further than that...till now. Till Gideon opened up a can of suspension, and poured in even more confusion in my already messed up life. I had my roommates hiding things from me, I didn't need to learn that my parents were doing the exact same thing, too.

The two things I wasn't 100% sure about: Clyde, Gideon, Monica, and Hazel--also possibly my parents--were all a part of the same thing together. Something secretive and something dangerous....whatever that means. I didn't know the significant to that.

The third thing: whatever they were a part of, no one wanted me to be included. And Gideon clearly would stop at nothing to keep me away from it...not because he cared, or at least that's what he claimed to say.

Gideon dashed off long before I could get a hold of him and ask him one of the million questions racing through my mind. He must've seen the confusion he had set loose in me, because the second I opened my mouth, he left my sight before the first word could take form on my tongue.

"What was that about?" Clyde asked as he finally made his way to me. "You looked like you wanted to kill him."

"When don't I want to kill Gideon," I said humorously. I shook my head and got my thoughts straight--well, sorta. Even though I had Clyde here, I didn't have much confidence to come out and say what was on my mind. I needed to ease into it.

I let it drop, for now, as we walked off in the direction Gideon had disappeared to.

The dirt path transformed into cement floor. Clyde lead us with the rest of the crowd through tall, arching trees that hung over head. I got a few strange looks here and there while walking alongside Clyde.

"Why are they staring?" I whispered over to Clyde.

He grinned, flashing a dimple. "You're not a usual member for Off the Hill gatherings. They're just curious on why you're here."

"Then why'd you invite me? I didn't know this was an exclusive thing."

"They won't mind you being here. You belong as long as you're next to me," he assured my worried thoughts, "trust me. The most you'll get is stares."

"Well there's a good reason their staring," I scoffed and then gestured to the attire everyone was wearing. Everyone--including Clyde and Gideon--had a red band wrapped around their waistline. Some were in the form of belts, others were ribbons. And on their wrists, bright yellow paint was drawn on, looking more like a bracelet. "I look out of place."

"What are you talking about?" Clyde wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him, crashing me into his chest. "You look perfect to me. Just stay close to me. If anyone has anything to say to you, I'll take care of it."

"I can take care myself."

"You don't know these people. They aren't like your friendly, neighborhood Spiderman."

I sighed, but wanted to crack a smile instead. "That really put a lot of pressure off of my shoulders."

He laughed to himself and we remained comfortably silent as we walked down the remainder of the path, still with his arm nicely around me. I liked it there. In a way, it felt right. It always felt right, never out of place or uncomfortable. Call me stupid for melting at his touch after everything I'd been through; I didn't care.

The narrow path broke into a wide meadow. A large bundle of wood was set in the middle of the meadow. At least fifty people were at the bonfire already. Now that we had joined the rest of the people, I could now see that everyone had different colors painted on their wrists and wrapped around their waistband. I saw greens, blues, and even a few oranges.

"What kind of bonfire is this?"

Clyde squeezed my shoulder, "A bonfire of the gods."

Muddled, I began to ask: "Wh--"

"Clyde!" Someone interrupted me.

Like always.

We looked around and saw a guy running our way. He was about Clyde's height--roughly 6 foot something. His thick curls bounced as he jogged in our direction. The smile on his face vanished once his eyes settled on me.

"Who is this?" he spat.

"She's with my crew, Aaron," Clyde replied calmly.

Aaron shook his head in disbelief, "You know you can't bring outsiders. It's rule number one to all gatherings."

Clyde snorted, "When did you become Headmen? I can bring whoever the hell I feel like bringing. Especially if she's going to be tested."

"Tested?" I echoed.

He nudged me. "It's not that hard of a test. I know you'll pass it."

Uh, why didn't he tell me this in the car? My back straightened, panicking instantly. 

"You can't just impose a test on a night like this," Aaron said, "We have other things set on the schedule."

"You can make room for one test. She won't take long."

Aaron looked at me. He scoffed. "Yeah right." 

More than anything, I hated it when people talked about me as if I wasn't there. I wanted to snap my finger in front of him and remind him that I was stand right in front of him.

"See this is why your House almost got banned from these events," Aaron scolded, "you think you're so entitled cause you're a direct heir."

Direct heir of what? ....a god? I was shifting from confused to downright baffled. 

"I don't think I'm entitled," Clyde stepped forward, "I know I'm one day going to be the boss around. If that makes me entitled, so be it."

They stared off at each other, both holding ground. I was pretty positive they'd go at each other's throats at any second....till Aaron broke into a fit of laughter, and then soon after, so did Clyde. Clyde dropped his hold on me and leaned forward to shake Aaron's hand.

"Seriously though, Clyde," he flickered his eyes over to me, "She can't be here. We stopped testing people after the third girl got hurt."

"She can be here. Why don't you acknowledge her for once and ask her for her name?"

At last, Aaron looked at me and did just that. "What's your name?"

"Nabela Osmani."

Aaron blinked twice, catching his breath. "Nabela Osmani...as in the daughter of Aliyah and Amal Osmani ?"

I hesitated, "Yeah. How do you know my parents?"

The entire group of fifty or so people fell silent. And just like when I had walked down that path with Clyde, everyone's eyes zipped to me. I scanned around the sea of faces and saw every single one of them staring right back at me, and then in unison, they bowed their heads and kneeled to one knee.

"We've been waiting for you." Aaron said at once. 

______________

Please vote and comment