21| Written in the Sky

We drove past my apartment complex, then out of town. Once we headed on to the freeway, I decided wherever we were heading, it would be a long drive.

"You left your phone in the car," Clyde told me, turning the car onto the next street. "I put it in the glove compartment for you."

I muttered a thank you and hoped to God that he hadn't unlocked my screen and tried to look at my messages. He might not believe that I had a boyfriend, but that didn't mean I shouldn't be precautions.

That reminded me. If I planned on doing....whatever it was I was doing with Clyde...then I had to tell Brandon. I had to start everything from the beginning and tell him the entire truth.

I just didn't know when. Doing it over Skype always seemed like an option I'd never use. In the past, if we were having an issue over text or Skype, I tried to not push it too far because I knew he'd just turn off the screen or mute me out through the text. I'd go on hours without a response, until finally he was back on line again or ready to talk. It was so much easier to solve problems when we went to high school together. We weren't that same couple now though.

I inhaled a deep breath and opened the glove complement, wondering what would be waiting for me on that phone. I snatched up my smart phone and turned it on. It buzzed to life and instantly, fifteen new messages popped up, one after another, each chiming loud in the silence of the car.

"Whoa," Clyde smiled, "who's blowing up your phone?"

I shook my head and scrolled through the messages. 90% of them were from Brandon. The small 10% came from Monica and Hazel. "Trust me, you don't want to know.

"Let me guess...is it your dad?"

I rolled my eyes, "Maybe if I was 14 and still in high school he'd blow my phone up like that. But nowadays it's odd for him to even call me once a week to check up on me."

"I know the feeling," he exhaled, sneaking a look over at me and then back at the road. "My mother and her second husband argue like there's no tomorrow. Either they're ignore me and my siblings or their fighting for our attention, trying to get one of us to say who the best parent is."

I frowned. "That sounds horrible. Do they still do that to this day?"

"Yeah, but it's not as bad as it used to be," he shrugged. "You'd get used to it eventually. I know I did."

I grinned to myself when I realized what he had just told me. Clyde glanced at me once more and broke into a small smile, laughing a little.

"What?" His smile grew.

"Nothing."

"No, what? Really. Tell me."

"It's just that you told me something about yourself," I admitted in a weak voice.

He arched a brow. "What's that's supposed to me?"

"Well, let's be honest Clyde, we don't know much about each other. We're practically strangers. And the fact that you told me that was great to learn."

"What are you talking about? We know each other."

"I know the inside of your mouth well," I stated bluntly, "but on a personal level? Not so much."

He threw his head back, laughing at my remark. "I think there's still a few more places I need to get more familiar with," he said smoothly and let his eyes dropped down to my lips, then to my chest, then back to the road again. He was so transparent I knew exactly what he was thinking.

With his eyes on me, I suddenly felt a lot more exposed than I had been before. It was like he was undressing me with his eyes.

I punched his shoulder playfully, "Yeah, yeah. Keep your eyes on the road, horn dog."